1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Ideas for Drama club??

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by longtimelistener, Sep 1, 2016.

1. longtimelistener

longtimelistener New commenter

Hi there,
    I hope I'm posting this in the right place, I am currently working in a very small, very deprived, low socioeconomic area, where the majority of the students are below national averages. I would like to start a drama club/performing arts club. I think there would be between 15 - 25 children interested across the school. I was the coach for the soccer team last year, but I have never run a club. The kids enjoy performing and we have some solid actors and singers, the students have been involved in inter school plays before, where the students involved get a half day on Wednesdays (unlike the rest of the school)
    The school itself has never organised a play. This is mainly because the staff (including me) feel that the students may not be willing to give up their lunchtime or stay back after school. We think they would be enthusiastic at the beginning, but that it would taper off as the year goes on (which has happened with previous clubs, many times) -
    Would anyone have any advice for me on strategies to keep the students involved? Or plays that might be suitable? Or any advice in general? We have a great art department, and a proper stage with lighting/sound and we would have access to great costumes etc