1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I turned 3 jobs down!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by antiol22, Dec 30, 2018.

1. antiol22

antiol22 New commenter

Am I being overly cautious or just plain stupid? I started my international school search last September and had 3 offers, none of which I accepted.

The first offered a low salary so I turned it down: I was working anyway so didn't worry too much!

The second offered a very good salary (although the taxes are high) but I got a bad feeling from the interview: also it was in a less than ideal location.

The third! Oh my gosh! Without giving too much away, the salary was just below my expectations based on previous applications but just about enough: the location was obscure and remote, there were one or two contract issues, the accommodation free but basic. The support however was very high throughout.

I couldn't persuade myself to accept it and now I feel I've used up all my chances particularly as I now struggle to get interviews: this year before September I was interviewed for every school I applied to: I got 3 offers out of 5 applications.

I would jump at something like that now!

So now I wonder: will there be any more opportunities? (Impossible to answer without looking) and how can I avoid making the same mistake again?

It seems the only way forward is to re-evaluate what I'm looking for and how marketable I am. If a job feels like a hardship post it probably is or may as well be. But that aspect of it has been putting me off!

Has anyone else been quite so wary of accepting anything abroad?

Part of me feels I've lost any kind of objectivity with this: what I've learned is there is no ideal overseas job: each one will have its challenges, mostly either a poor work-life balance, chaotic management, a weak package or an unattractive location.

Meanwhile I'm stuck in the UK getting older.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share? I'm determined not to fall into this trap again: I feel I'm fairly marketable but not as much as I thought I was.

2. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

I think you've done the right thing.
    If you have reservations, trust your instict, it's not the right job or the right time.

Your reservations may be valid, in which case trust your gut, it's not the right job for you.
    If your reservations are absurd, then it's a sign that you yourself are not ready. Either way, trust your instinct. When the right offer comes along, you'll know.

Good luck.

3. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

What blue451 says is true, there are lots of rubbish schools out there.

One addition though, some international schools will only consider you once you have international experience, so you may have to take a 'hardship' post the first time round in order to be more marketable in the future.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Agree with this. ^ It's impossible to know how things would have turned out had you taken any of those jobs. One of them could have been a great experience and stepping stone into int'l teaching or it could have been a disaster that forever closed that door for you.

We took the first jobs that we were offered in Egypt and were quite happy with our experience, which in turn led to better and more rewarding opportunities. We also later on missed out on several of our top choice positions/location after making the short list, which was very disappointing at the time. In the end, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise since we were eventually offered our long term dream jobs/location which meant we would have had to walk away from those other attractive positions. It works out how it works out.

Moving forward, if you are determined to get out there then put a big push on right now. It is still peak hiring season and if you have reasonable experience and qualifications then the odds are heavily in your favor that you will get some type of decent offer. You may need to take it and just get out there and start building your int'l teaching CV.

Feel free to start a conversation if you would like to share more about your qualifications/previous offers and maybe get some advice on where/how to proceed or maybe some feasible schools/locations you haven't considered.

Good luck!

2mature likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I would never recommend anyone do anything reckless but sometimes you do have to accept a degree of risk to achieve anything. Good luck :)

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Why except a degree of risk. The op made the correct decision and has learnt by the experience.

Just wish them good fortune in finding honest employment.

7. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

Whilst schools do recruit earlier and earlier in the year - as witnessed by the offers you received - we are moving into the peak time for recruiting.

Are you registered with an agency or going to a job fair? That would give you access to more jobs.

As for not taking the positions offered, well, we all have our own set of criteria for what we would take or not. And the important thing is that it is your criteria and your choice. What works for someone else is irrelevant as it's about what works for you.

Good luck.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@february31st Bloomin' heck, every big decision I have taken has had risk attached - getting married, moving house, having babies, going for promotion - it's called living your life!

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

antiol22, what exactly is a "low salary"? What is a "very good salary"? These things are very misleading, as I have explained many times on this TES forum.

First of all, many countries around the world are much cheaper places in which to live compared to Rip-Off Britain. Therefore you could still save more money each month while living overseas, even if your actual salary were to be lower than what you are currently getting in the UK.

Secondly, many international schools provide their expat teachers with accommodation, usually an apartment. This could mean that you could rent out your flat or house in the UK. Again, this might result in your being better off overseas, even if you were earning a smaller salary.

Thirdly, your original post says absolutely nothing about the excitement and the enjoyment of international travel. Your post says nothing at all about how interesting it would be to experience different cultures and different countries, meet new people and learn new languages. Instead, antiol22, you have written a load of boring stuff about contracts, salaries, applications and taxes.

If you want an overseas school to be exactly like a school in the UK, with the same contracts, salaries etc., then my guess is that you are going to be disappointed. Therefore my advice to you is to reject ALL international jobs and stay in the UK. I absolutely agree with lindenlea that you should start living your life, but maybe that is too difficult for you. You should just forget the whole idea of teaching overseas and stop wasting your own time and that of the principals of various international schools who have received your application in the mistaken belief that you were serious about teaching overseas.

spanboy and Teachallover like this.
  10. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Harsh but fair, oh legendary one!

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

First you have to define risk levels you are prepared to take, crossing the road or playing Russian Roulette.

20 years ago I was younger, single and money in the bank so moving to work in Kuwait was not a risk. Now I have a family, two mortgages and children to educate Kuwait is a s.h.!.t.h.o.l.e of a country best avoided with a risk of getting ones head cut off.(a low one i admit but has to be considered) I would also avoid Egypt, Iran, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iraq, KSA, Nigeria, Qatar, Bahrain, Libya, Sudan and other countries where I cant wear a Union Jack tshirt and drink a beer walking down the street.

Then you consider the new Bilingual Rent-a-Names schools opening up in China I would say Risk Avoidance is the best option for those schools.

Many options for the op to test the waters, even a summer school here in China would give a few weeks of experience at a low risk level.

2mature likes this.
  12. antiol22

antiol22 New commenter

"antiol22, what exactly is a "low salary"? What is a "very good salary"? These things are very misleading, as I have explained many times on this TES forum.

First of all, many countries around the world are much cheaper places in which to live compared to Rip-Off Britain. Therefore you could still save more money each month while living overseas, even if your actual salary were to be lower than what you are currently getting in the UK.

Secondly, many international schools provide their expat teachers with accommodation, usually an apartment. This could mean that you could rent out your flat or house in the UK. Again, this might result in your being better off overseas, even if you were earning a smaller salary.

Thirdly, your original post says absolutely nothing about the excitement and the enjoyment of international travel. Your post says nothing at all about how interesting it would be to experience different cultures and different countries, meet new people and learn new languages. Instead, antiol22, you have written a load of boring stuff about contracts, salaries, applications and taxes.

If you want an overseas school to be exactly like a school in the UK, with the same contracts, salaries etc., then my guess is that you are going to be disappointed. Therefore my advice to you is to reject ALL international jobs and stay in the UK. I absolutely agree with lindenlea that you should start living your life, but maybe that is too difficult for you. You should just forget the whole idea of teaching overseas and stop wasting your own time and that of the principals of various international schools who have received your application in the mistaken belief that you were serious about teaching overseas. "

Thank you all for your helpful replies apart from this one which is utterly useless and says more about the poster than me; who makes assumptions about people. I will of course disregard it entirely.

13. antiol22

antiol22 New commenter

Blue 451, thanks for your comment, I found that most helpful!

No trolls please!

14. tigertiger2001

tigertiger2001 New commenter

Thank you!

15. antiol22

antiol22 New commenter

Are you on the right thread?

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

You were offered three different international jobs and you turned them all down. Maybe it is you who is on the wrong thread, antiol22.

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. antiol22

antiol22 New commenter

Dear Hippo

I am going to ask you for the last time to stop trolling me.
    I have reported you already.
    I will report any further posts by you in this nature as inappropriate.
    Goodbye. please with all due respect, leave this thread. I am asking you politely. Thank you.

18. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I still love you @the hippo ,you can talk to me instead;)

TeacherMan2019, sabrinakat and yasf like this.
  19. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Oooh *gets popcorn* are you calling the hippo a troll?

yasf and lottee1000 like this.
  20. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

#Ohdear... Pulling the *troll* card after sending out the "Help" signal.. The hippo is right though. Your priorities are a "high" salary and taxes. Turning down 3 jobs suggests Saudi and China are your destination.

Taking that first international posting invloves the love for travel, cultural immersion, professional diversity and taking a paycut.

Good luck.

sabrinakat likes this.