1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help, I think I need counselling...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chrysalid, Apr 13, 2011.

1. I've been continually stressed in the school I've been working at for the past 3 and a bit years. I think I could do with counselling, and was wondering if anyone else has had it, whether it was useful, and how to go about contacting a suitable practitioner. I don't really want to go through my GP, or get signed off.

2. Fierygirl

Fierygirl New commenter

Why don't you want to go through your GP? He or she can refer you to talking therapies, although you might find there's a waiting list. If not, you'll have to go private, which will be expensive.

Perhaps if you've been continually stressed for the last three and a half years, it's a new job that you need rather than counselling.

3. Check to see if your LA provides counselling. I had 6 free sessions using the LA counselling service and was seen very quickly (2 weeks compared to the 16 month NHS waiting list!)

4. I've had counselling many times although not because of work. The first time I found a councillor by being referred by dr. Teh second time I went to my uni counsellor and the third time I contacted occupational health who put me in touch with relate.

Each time it was free too which was helpful. Although you only get like 8 sessions free then it's up to you if you want to go on after that.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You could also try life coaching via Teacher Support Line.

6. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I've had counselling for issues which sort of stemmed from work. I went private as I had a sense of urgency about helping my mental health. It was expensive but worth every penny. I have also had group counselling through the MIND group via my GP. It is so helpful sometimes to meet other people in the same boat.

7. I had CBT before and if you get a good counsellor and are willing to put the work it can really make a difference, it probably literally saved my life.

You usually have to go through your GP although these days they do it as a self referral so if you mention it to your doc they should give you a form to complete and a number to call. I waited about 6 weeks for mine.

CBT courses are usually quite short (initially 6 one hr sessions in most cases) However mine went on for close to a year in the end and although that's usual for CBT my counsellor was happy to do that because of the circumstances.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

But are you meeting them after more than two years?