1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I think I got a day in Lieu but don't know how to use it!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by aspire5336, Sep 4, 2016.

1. aspire5336

aspire5336 New commenter

Hi,

I'm an NQT and started my teaching post in November last year.

Back in May I assisted on a residential trip for 4 days. As far as I'm aware, those 4 days totaled to 1 day in Lieu.

How do I use this day in Lieu? Can I work from home or do I have to be in school?

Or have I got it completely wrong and don't have a day in Lieu from this residential?

Please help!

From a very confused NQT

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Did you actually get told you'd have a day in lieu? Or did you work a day you don't normally (ie you're part time)? Or are you assuming that as you gave up hours of extra time in the evening that means you're entitled to some extra time off...I suspect you may be disappointed if it's the latter. Usually people who go on residential accept that they give some unpaid hours. I would suggest you speak to whoever organised the trip, or the head.

If you get it, you don't have to work at all. It's the same as a weekend day.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. McLauz

McLauz New commenter

I agree with the above, unless you were told before hand that you could reclaim the time I would assume you won't get any in lieu. When we go on residential it is just known that you work 24/7 for a few days without getting it back. Seems a little strange, especially if you have previously come from an industry where all overtime can be billed, but that's schools for you!