1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I think I could be slipping into addiction

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I am finding it harder and harder to cope with life without more and more frequent and bigger and bigger fixes of TES. The housework is piling up around me, my daily 4 mile walk is gradually being reduced in length. I am getting RSI from too much 2- finger typing. It's the rewards! Every 'Like' sends a quick flush of gratification coursing through my bloodstream, every escalation through the contributor level scale takes me higher and, when the trophies come, I am nearly off my head! I am afraid that if I hit 1,000 posts and 500 likes it could lead to an overdose. What should I do? I am thinking of seeing a hypnotherapist or checking myself into the Priory which is only just up the road. Or maybe I should go for a less harmful substitute and start on a cruise website or even mumsnet. Any advice would be welcome.

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

A first world problem,methinks, forsooth.

3. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

"They tried to make me go to rehab. I said no, no, no".

Might be a suggestion though, @Lascarina ? ;)

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Gosh, I absolutely hadn't noticed your omnipresence until you mentioned it @Lascarina

I've done you a favour and haven't liked you as you need to know you can rely on me to wean you off the instant gratification.

I have hit both 1,000 posts and 500 likes and I'm as modest and self-effacing as ever though so you have no need to worry.

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

You need a support organisation!

How about:

Organisation For Sane Tessing Every Day

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oooh you passed 400 likes Lascy!

Makes up for your losses!

7. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Whatever gets you through the day, is al right.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I sometimes get drawn into long threads on mumsnet - they can be quite entertaining (or shocking, or sad) but I don't really join in. It's too big, it's like you don't know anyone.

cissy3 likes this.
  9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ooh, the Relationship threads, Inky!

Didn't you take a break for the same reason, Lascarina? When you were Nuts?

It's too easy to waste time on here...:rolleyes:

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

grumpydogwoman said:
    Gosh, I absolutely hadn't noticed your omnipresence until you mentioned it @Lascarina

L said -I don't believe I did mention it! But I certainly wouldn't want to become so self- involved as a result of my addiction that I failed to notice any ubiquity!;)

quote gdw-I've done you a favour and haven't liked you as you need to know you can rely on me to wean you off the instant gratification.

L said Yes,thanks for that. And it did help too of course when you reported me.;)

quote gdw I have hit both 1,000 posts and 500 likes and I'm as modest and self-effacing as ever though so you have no need to worry.

L said-
    Sadly I'm not sure I could maintain the same level of modesty and self effacement as you have though.;)

12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That reply was a mess because the multi quote function went funny. Sorry.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Do you reckon? I dunno. Suppose it was booze or gambling?

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That was part of the reason, DT but there were others. I was off for 9 months!

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

9 months! Is there something we should know?

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Still seeking helpful advice.

17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Take up booze or gambling?
    ;)

cissy3 likes this.
  18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ah. So what you do is ask Tessers to carefully go through your posting history and remove 'likes', say 40 a day. You could start this NOW as an insurance policy against further trophies etc. Then what you do, on the build-up to reaching a 1000 posts, is only post on threads that you know will be pulled. If those types of threads are scarce, you start your own 'doomed' threads and only post on them. You'll be close to boiling point, but you won't go over the edge.

What you really want to avoid is Siggie Summit.

cissy3 likes this.
  19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm TT, fleur and I do the lottery but that's not very gripping

Noja likes this.
  20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Deffo. But strangely enough that's not the sort of hit I long for. I wouldn't use it even if it were offered gratis.