1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - I think I am getting addicted....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Mar 7, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

.... to Nigel Slater. I love both his 'Tender books' and read them lovingly on a regular basis. I just love the way he writes about food - growing it, cooking it and eating it. Every single recipe of his I have tried are tasty and fairly easy to do. I've found myself watching 'toast' quite a few times, and his simple suppers stuff on tv.
    I've just been on amazon and had to force myself not to buy loads more of his books - I've managed to restrain myself and just buy 'kitchen diaries' but I have a feeling it won't be long until I cave and buy some of the others.
    Any other adictees out there??

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My name is egyptgirl and I...I have a...an addiction to Nigel Slater.
    I have all of his books.
    I have all of his shows and the 'Toast' serialisation Sky+ed.
    I just adore the way he presents his 'Simple Suppers' series.
    I love his quiet passion for food - its superbly calming.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I love him.
    He is so cool, unfussy, simple and his food just makes me salivate.
    Wonderful to watch.

4. I love him too. Calm,his voice is so soothing, unshowy and gorgeous food. I don.t yet have all his books but I'm working on it.

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Phew! I'm glad it's not only me (and egypt girl I can see myself buying all of his books over the next year or so).
    I can't wait for the next book to arrive so I can snuggle up with it in bed and drool :)

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Love his writing.
    Can't stand him on the television.
    Real Fast Food is probably my most used cookery book. It's covered in stains, is falling apart and is scorched from having almost set light to it. It taught me to cook.
    Appetite is possibly my favourite in terms of usefulness. Real Food is a trove of delights to come back to time and time again. Kitchen Diaries is my favourite to just sit and read.
    Tender is excellent; not got round to buying Tender 2 yet - the only one of his I haven't got other than the Eating for England miscellany of food.
    I just don't like watching him on TV. Too earnest, and too self-conscious. For a while, he didn't do much TV, other than the series that went with Real Food, and I kind of wish he'd kept it like that.

7. *creeps in and whispers*
    I don't like his books nor do I like him on the TV.
    *creeps out and turns the light off as she leaves*

8. I should think so too CQ! Hang your head in shame. Nigel is king. He is my guru.

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I love Nigel Slater, self-taught cook with a lovely "feel" for food. I have everyone of his books and they are beautifully written and I love that there has been thought on how the Tender (I and II)and Kitchen Diaries have been published, they are a joy to hold.
    I like watching his TV shows as well, it's true that he isn't a natural but that's part of his charm surely?

10. *hangs head in shame*
    *mumbles apologies*
    Delia was my guru - now I know she gets right up some people's nostrils! [​IMG]
    I am becoming quite fond of that Heston blokie - totally off his rocker, but I am finding him strangely addictive!

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here.
    For books I love my Nigellas but I can't bear watching the soft **** that is Nigella on TV.

12. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I can't stand Nigella - I find her recipes too flouncy and on tv she just annoys me! I don't mind Delia - her recipes always come out well but she doesn't inspire or excite me like Nigel does.
    I like Heston too - he is so unique and unusual (though can't say I would ever try his recipes or even be able to!)

13. Interesting how we all see things - I like Delia as she is so dependable.
    I am not a fan of the "inspiring" cooks as they don't inspire me - but that is maybe because I am such a pigheaded thing and do my own thing.
    I like dependable - for the old standards, and then I can do my own twist.
    Heston is strangely interesting - but as I said, totally on a different plane to us mortals.

14. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I don't find Delia annoying, she's the one I turn to when I'm doing something new or fiddly because I know if I follow her advice then it will turn out perfectly.
    I like Nigella too, although her last two series have been more about her than about her food, I love her books though, she writes well.
    I haven't really watched Heston Blumenthal, is he on one of the commerical channels perhaps?
    I've missed Raymond Blanc's new series, for some reason I can't get my head round the fact that it's on a Monday night. I do like his recipes though and they're not difficult to follow.

15. oooooh, don't know. I catch up on him on a German commercial package I have (hilariously dubbed - even more hilarious than Jamie O dubbed, which was whacky enough).

16. Exactly.
    And do you know, even after cooking Sunday dinners for over 20 years, I still follow her totally precise timing thingie (so that everything is ready at once).
    She is great for the basics - I also ALWAYS cook basmati rice as I learnt to do so from her many years ago (can't remember which book) as it is totally foolproof. MUCH more foolproof than any method you will find in an Asian recipe (although whatsername is good - the curry woman).

17. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Madhur Jaffray?

18. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I don't do that but I do follow her guidance with Christmas Dinner timings - usually because I'm cooking for more than the usual crowd and so she keeps me calm.
    I actually turn to her when I want to do something a bit different - if I have a cut of meat and want some inspiration - I go to her complete cookery course.

As for Basmati rice, I follow Madhur Jaffrey's recipe, it's foolproof and delicious.

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Most of cooking is all about timing, it makes sense of the way I was taught to write a time-plan and I would advise any novice cook to do so. I'm so used to cooking roast dinners and dinner parties that it just comes into my head as to timings.

20. That is the one.