1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I need to organise a trip to Spain for 15 students asap

Discussion in 'School trips' started by 1daisy2, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Hi - any help appreciated! I have always booked school trips to Spain through tour operators but as we are taking only 15 students this time and possibly the school minibus, I think that it would be much cheaper if I arranged it myself. I would also consider a cheap flights but is -especially with no-frills airlines- a complicated procedure? ...What if they are cancelled??Does anyone have any experience/hints and tips/advice on what I have to do to make sure that I have covered ALL that a tour operator would do? We are travelling to Northern Spain next May. You may be able to suggest tour companies that cater for small groups?
    All advice appreciated. Many thanks!!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Check that you are insured/licenced to drive a minibus in Spain. I looked at taking ours to France and a) you can't drive it on a normal licence as you need a PSV licence and b) it is classed as a commercial vehicle and needs a tachograph fitted and working.

3. Ooo that sounds complicated. In that case, taking the school bus might not be such a good idea :-(

4. Have a look at www.hihostels.com/groups. It is the website for hostelling international for group holidays and they have hostels in northern spain. If you fill in the enquiry form their travel office in spain will contact you and help you book your group package.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have used Hi Hoistels in the USA. The standard can be decribed as cheap and cheerful.

6. Hi, I am trying to do the same for the next academic year, however I am thinking touse a tour operator.
    May you let me know which one you used before, please?

Thank you

7. Hi all...
    try www.myfabschooltrip.com
    They cater for all needs and they've got really competitive prices and itineraries plus they aren't a tour operator so they are more into the real Spain and language exposure.
    telf number +34 6806245087

8. sorr.. I got the phone number wrong!!!
    www.myfabschooltrip.com
    +34 680624507

9. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

How will it look on the front page of The Sun when you tell the headteacher/ British consul/ court that you picked the company based on a mention on the TES website about a company touting for business there which was so gallus and brazenly useless that they quoted a non existent website and couldn´t even remeber their own (untraceable and hence unaccountable) Spanish mobile phone number.
    You will look professional.
    ¿Verdad ?

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I can reccomend Trailfinders. They can arrange complete packages or parts thereof.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Also, if you are arranging your own insurance then contact Zurich. They do a special schools trip insurance which for Europe is 30p per person per day (last time I checked) and the cover is excellent.

12. What is your role? I think organising trips was one of the 25 jobs removed from teachers when the Government gave us a reduced pay-rise about 8 years ago. My Head appointed a lady to run the exams and trips: for the first year or so she needed help, but then was able to do everything from the administration aspect, including completing most of the Risk Assessment forms, getting quotes, sending letters, collecting money, arranging insurance, emergency telephones etc etc. When you say "cheaper", I assume you anticipate doing all the work without charging for your time: although that might be "in the childrens interest", they probably will not appreciate it, it is a mug's game and it is one of the reasons teachers are undervalued - we do things for free!
    When I took a group of 15 pupils to Prague, about 10y ago, I tried to book on-line with EasyJet. However, they only release approx 4 seats in any price bracket and there must be an adult in every booking arrangement. So I ended up contacting their phone number and getting all tickets at a slightly higher price than that advertised on the web: the sooner this is done, the cheaper it is. Obviously, you need every passport detail and they must not expire within 6 months of flying - definitely something to organise early. (Yes, I didn't charge for all those hours of planning, nor for the 24/7 responsibility whilst there - I'm a mug!)
    A few years ago I booked a number of flights (12 I recall) for a Teacher's Conference in Germany, with Air Berlin (I THINK - apologies if I am about to criticize the wrong company); these were spread across Fri/Sat (out) and Sat/Sun/Mon (return). They cancelled one of the Sunday return flights with about 2 weeks notice. They offered a full refund (out & return - not much use to us) or a partial refund (return leg) BUT we then had to book on different flights at the CURRENT price - they would not transfer tickets and they would not simply charge what we could have paid at the time of the original booking. Obviously, I knew what this amounted to as I had staff booked on all possible combinations - I think we paid an extra £150 in total and one person didn't go at all.
    Sorry if that is not a lot of help, but it is best to be aware of problems before they arise.