1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help, I need open night ideas!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ulidiageography, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ulidiageography

ulidiageography New commenter

Hi all, our annual open night is coming up and after trying lots of things (seed planting, photo booth, live twitter) I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I suspect we need to now a little bit more about the type of school to make any helpful suggestions...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Ogden Nash had some advice, though I doubt it'll help you:
    Candy
    Is dandy
    But liquor
    Is quicker.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Think about the point of open evening. It's probably to encourage parents to want to send their kids to the school.
    Based on your username, I'm going to assume you're a geographer (if you're not substitute your own subject)
    You need to be able to talk to parents to make them realise that geography in your school is exciting and leads the children to understand more about their own surroundings and about the world.
    I would put out some simple (year 7) activities that can be approached by upcoming year 6 students. Have some student helpers to guide the visitors through the activities. You need activities that the kids get right and that lead them to feel smart.
    A few parents will want to know the boring stuff (exam boards, results - print these on bits of paper to tape to tables where there aren't interactive things) - most want to know that your school is a safe stimulating place of learning.
    Have fun

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. ulidiageography

Thanks, we are an integrated school in Belfast, there are 600 plus in the school, and only integrated in local area.
    The school is over subscribed by more than double each year.
    The geography department is located at the back of the school and usually gets very few visitors on open days as we are a no corridor school.
    We have tried lots of things over the last 12 years and I am thin on ideas/motivation for this year.

6. ulidiageography

For the staff to get through the event,

7. FrankWolley

If your department is at the back of the school, could you set up a stand somewhere more convenient (maybe in the foyer, or in a hall)?

I always found having pupils (keen, usually Y7 or Y8) actually doing 'stuff' attracted potential parents & their children, so maybe get some of them to meet & greet parents and then direct them to the Geography Dept, whee more will be 'doing' Geography...

Have details of all field trips etc. on show. Usually impresses.

Lastly - show off as much hi-tech equipment as you can!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. ulidiageography

Thanks for suggestions, I will ask for permission to be out again, but was not allowed to be on previous years due to no corridor style building. Year 8/9 students is a good idea.
    Thanks

phlogiston likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

I should also have added, older students (we used Sixth Formers) who have chosen your subject & so are 'keen' can be used as well. Also can help monitor younger pupils!

phlogiston and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Have a rolling PowerPoint on a screen with pictures of trips, visitors, headline results, etc. As well as current studentship and an activity. Maybe pin the X on the X and a sticker or sweet prize given by your helpers? I'm music and I've always had students performing and a load of music technology set up with headphones for visitors to stick on headphones and listen to or make their own. Not overly imaginative but let's them see what's on offer and have a hands-on experience.

11. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

* students not studentship!