1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I need a poem!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, Feb 6, 2011.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I want to emphasize to my year 4's the importance in how a poem is read in order to convey its meaning, so I am looking for a poem that is intentionally ambiguous and can be read in 2 very different ways to create 2 very different meanings. I have googled the life out of this one and all I can find is advanced ambiguity that is implicit - not two very clear ways that are shown using expression.

Anyone come across a poem like this? Or could write me a poem like this?!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I want to emphasize to my year 4's the importance in how a poem is read in order to convey its meaning, so I am looking for a poem that is intentionally ambiguous and can be read in 2 very different ways to create 2 very different meanings. I have googled the life out of this one and all I can find is advanced ambiguity that is implicit - not two very clear ways that are shown using expression.

Anyone come across a poem like this? Or could write me a poem like this?!

3. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

Not a poem but the song "I would give everything I own" (The Byrds - I also think) is often sung as a love song but was actaully about the loss of the writer's father and bereavement.
    You could try The Charge of the Light Brigade which starts sounding like a celebration but is actually a tirade against the generals.
    Kennings or haiku which if read badly really don't work. The bard ditto.
    None of these are really answering your idea of ambiguity in the actual performance which is what I think you want.

4. Slightly tongue in cheek- read it on paper then out loud [​IMG]

1 1 was a racehorse
    2 2 was 1 2
    1 1 1 1 race
    2 2 1 1 2

(translation-
    one one was a racehorse
    two two was one too
    one one won one race
    two two won one too)
    LT

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Not sure if this is of any help to you at all - but here goes!
    There are two very different performances of Jabberwocky on the BBC Learning Zone class clips site.
    Zoe Wanamaker performs in a very 'straight' way here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/lewis-carroll-jabberwocky-poem-only/8835.html
    In this second performance Brian Blessed is much more dramatic! The children might notice that he pronounces some of the nonsense words quite differently to Zoe.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/lewis-carrol-jabberwocky-poem-only/5322.html
    The way the two are filmed is different too. Zoe is in a bare studio with just picture frames dotted about. Brian's piece is dramatised with sound effect.
    Have a look - this may at least get over the point that the way a poem is performed leads to different outcomes. Neither is a poor performance - just different!
    The children could then take the first verse and perform it in as many different ways as they can. How does the performance affect our understanding of the nonsense words?

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin New commenter

What about Robert Frost's poem - The Road Not Taken.

It can be taken as a literal interpretation as a walk in the woods or as a metaphor for someone's life.