1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I keep losing my voice!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by emilykate, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Every time I get a cold - which seems to be every other week at the moment as my class are all germ carriers, I also lose my voice. Any tips for getting it back (apart from the obvious of not talking) and also stopping it happening?

2. Every time I get a cold - which seems to be every other week at the moment as my class are all germ carriers, I also lose my voice. Any tips for getting it back (apart from the obvious of not talking) and also stopping it happening?

3. I had this problem and doctor sent me to ENT and then got referred to Speech Therapist who gave me list of do's and don'ts, as ENT said I was medically fine. Can't remember everything but here's a few:

Drink water - not hot drinks
    Have a bowl of water by radiator to keep room moist
    Don't gargle with mouthwashes
    Don't force your voice

My Head of Department swapped teaching rooms around soon after I started at school where I had the problem - then I was fine. Went from small room (where I couldn't get a draft going through the room)to a large room with windows at both sides (nice and breezy when needed). Never had a problem since!

4. Go to a singing coach as the coach will teach you how to use your voice in its most effective manner with the least stress. I learned to project my voice so I am putting it under the least amount of stress and I also feel less tired at the end of the day as I use less effort to speak to the whole class.

HTH.

5. Advice I got was to drink warm water not cold water. Cold makes your muscles contract whereas warm relaxes them thus preventing strain on your vocal chords. A voice coach will help no end. I learnt how to do exercises such as yawning etc... which has really helped plus learnt how to project my voice properly. Still have the odd problem but not as bad as it has been. Honey and lemon in warm water works wonders. Also whispering will cause more problems than it solves. I was advised to not talk at all when I lost my voice. Mine happened due to a horrid bout of flu and then strained vocal chords. And unhelpful advice given by doctor was to go into a job that involved less talking! Good luck with it and hope it gets better.

6. I use STREFEN lozengers, they work every time. In fact, if I have a few as I begin to feel hoarse, I end up not loosing my voice. Used to be a real problem for me before Strefen!