1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - I have to teach Media Studies

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by lizgaskell, May 12, 2011.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Welcome!
    Firstly, i know you are worried now but, believe me, you will really enjoy it! I was an Engliah teacher, I thought, but first post, 5 years or so ago, gave me a Media Studies class. I was so nervous and I spent the whole summe planning but actually, now i feel privileged.
    First things first;
    • which board are you teaching ?(wjec, aqa or betc for example)
    • GCSE or A level
    I would, if I were you, join Mediaedu (expensive- I reconsider every year but still do it (my own money too) - maybe yoor HOD would pay for it? Masses of resource on here. Even teachit can help- I think.
    Honestly, you're already probably pretty good at reading texts; these are just differnet texts.
    Liz[​IMG]

2. Thanks for the useful advice and words of encouragement.
    The board is WJEC and I will be teaching both GCSE and A-level.
    I think the fact that I used to be a journalist has made them think I am the perfect choice for this subject but from what I can see this is just a small part of the subject. This is my first post and I want to make sure I don't let the students down.

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Well, I teach aqa Media but WJEC for English and Film Studies and they couldn't be more helpful.

Look first at their website- loads of stuff there.

Liz

4. Thanks Liz - you have been very helpful.

5. WJEC have an INSET for teachers/Centres new to the spec. In London. In June. Try might help!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Watch lots of classic fillums, and foreign ones with subtitles - it'll make you sound sophisticated and knowledgeable about moving image ;-)

7. What software will the students have to use? I would recommend teaching yourself photoshop over the summer. Look on youtube for 'I suck at photoshop' which are very funny clips. My advice would be limit group filming work as unless you have very organised students and small classes as it can be a nightmare to manage and tricky technically.
    I just had mine do websites for their coursework and used wix.com. It worked fantastically and they just figured out the software themselves. They made websites for new TV dramas that they invented and doing individual work was a lot less stressful as they weren't reliant on others and could do it at home as it was internet based. The more able/organised filmed little clips but others just did photos. They also couldn't 'loose' the work as it was saved online (just got all their usernames and passwords written down so they couldn't forget).

8. Hi there,
    Film Education offers a wide range of free classroom resources for teaching about film and teaching through film. We also have training events from time to time, and every year run a huge, free, nationwide film festival for schools called National Schools Film Week.
    Much of our educational content (film-specific websites and generic advice for working with film) is online and the site is free to access:
    www.filmeducation.org
    Our e-newsletter and free resources go to all teachers who want them - just add your details and you'll join the mailing list, again no charge:
    http://www.filmeducation.org/signup.php

Our popular annual Teaching Trailers resource will be going out to schools shortly - it makes a really useful starting point for looking at the film industry, and marketing in general. If you'd like further information, or would like some film-focused wallcharts for your Media classroom, just drop us a line:
    secondary@filmeducation.org

Good luck!

Film Education team

9. Just check http://learning-media.blogspot.com/. Should be helpful.