1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I hate teaching.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Franky86, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Franky86

Franky86 New commenter

I am at the lowest of the low. I canot see a future in my job and I just don't enjoy it. I need some advice and help. I am teaching for 4 years. I am facing into my 5th summer of filling out job applications and praying I get some maternity contracts or a fixed term contract. I am an art teacher in Ireland. This lack of security has led to me feeling stagnent. I haven't moved on in life. I am waiting for it to happen. I am 30 and I have no idea if I'll have an income in September. I can't get mortgage and I am engaged but unable to contemplate saving for a wedding. I am still in my student apartment with no hope of moving. I want a permanent job. I want any other job. I'm sorry to say this but I am done with teaching. What are my career options ? I am an art teacher and I am fed up of painting murals on the walls of every school that I have subbed in in an attempt to be kept. I am sick of making signs for open nights and providing artwork for school muesuem, functions and everything else. I am sick of the donkey work that is expected from someone like me, someone in job limbo. Is there any advice on any areas that a secondary level art teacher could transfer into. I'd love a 9-5 office job. I'm willing to do anything for a reliable income. Sorry for the rant but I am so upset I decided to pursue my dream of going to art college and then training to teach. I am unemployable

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'd post this on Career Clinic as @TheoGriff, @Middlemarch, @CWadd might be able to advise, but....

If you are based in Ireland (and I know the education system there is very difficult to get a permanent job), if you have QTS, there may be opportunities in England/Wales (and the above posters could advise). I lived in Ireland for 15 years and moved back here to re-enter secondary teaching because there really were so few jobs.

Good luck!

3. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

I'm so sorry you're going through such a difficult time, Franky. I'm also very sorry that I don't have any useful advice to give you. I am thinking of you and sending you waves of courage and strength all the way from Canada.

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Fake it!

Go through the motions, put the down in your pocket and look forward to retirement.

That's what teaching is really all about.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@Franky86

I don't usually post on these threads but thought I may as well.
    There are places in Scotland that are crying out for teachers. I won't go details over why - it's a long story.
    Think about relocating. Here (you'll want to use the search engine for teaching jobs):

https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/education

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Did you read her post? She can't get a job. It's not a case of sticking it out.

*Why do people respond to threads they clearly haven't read through?

Dragonlady30 and sabrinakat like this.
  7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Move to England? Lots of teachers are quitting here these days, it seems...

8. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Do you have to stay in your current location , or are you and your partner able to move? If you can, I'd look at @coffeekid's suggestion, otherwise look at your transferable skills and see how another career might suit you.

9. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid. I only wish I could.
    Just posted to say how sorry to hear you are in this situation. I can sympathise with you. It is hard.

10. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Have you thought about working for yourself. One of my friends teaches Art lessons - painting, drawing etc, to groups of adults from her home. Another friend left teaching and is now a very successful watercolour artist - has had to work hard at it but has been doing this now for over 20 years. His wife does picture frames and daughters also help in the buisness.

emerald52 likes this.
  11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Yes I think there is a lot of demand for art classes. The narrow curriculum in schools means that you could offer after school and holiday classes. I used to take my daughter to a local potter who held classes for small groups in her garden and studio.

12. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Of course she can get a job. Plenty of jobs out there. She just doesn't want to work. That's argument I hear a lot. I'm just trying to remember where...

OK, so it wasn't about Brexit or in the Daily Mail, so I just skimmed it.

Franky86, go abroad and teach English as a foreign language. Yes, I am serious. It's easy money and you'll feel better getting away from it all.

13. sabrinakat

There aren't plenty of jobs, teaching art in Ireland @Vladimir - that's what the OP is posting about.

Wait - are you suggesting that the poster should be an economic migrant and move to another country to work? WWTDFS (what would the daily fail say?).

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh.

The British Gas engineer who came to fix my boiler? He'd been a lecturer in History of Art in FE. He retrained. His sister was a teacher. She was sick of it too.

Maybe think left field on this?

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I have hated teaching since I started the PGCE in 1991, now I am retiring. Since 2008 it has got worse as payrises have been none existent. Its a job.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. MacGuyver

MacGuyver Occasional commenter

Hi Franky,

Irish and teaching in England for the last 6 years. Straight from uni to here as I didn't fancy the endless stream of job hunting and supply.

Your options are:
    1) Emigrate. The UK is in the midst of a teacher recruitment/retention crisis. But, there is a reason for this so do your research and try see what you're getting into. But the UK isn't the only country in the world that might need teachers.
    2) Go into business as an Art Teacher/Tutor with your own studio. See Alldone and Emerald52's suggestion.
    3) Just retrain as something else entirely.
    4) Stick it out and pray you get lucky...

None particularly appealing.

Good luck.

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

You're still young. Get out. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of your life being miserable and end up bitter and unfulfilled.

As for your wedding, I wish people would realise that a lavish do and cripplingly expensive frock aren't as important in the long run as they assume they should be.

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

This.

19. sabrinakat

On an aside, I worked as an EFL teacher in a good college in Dublin for six years - pay frozen for six years. It was a great part-time job (had my son), I taught exams and all different levels, but it wasn't my passion (history, Latin, etc). I still do some EFL is my current UK secondary, which I enjoy but to me, my love is the ancient world - if the OP is an artist, perhaps combining a variety of skills may be the way forward (art studio, some tutoring, perhaps other teaching), but really, it does become silly after a time.

20. longtimelistener

longtimelistener New commenter

Hi @Franky86 -
    I'm in the same boat as you, I was lucky enough to get a 7 month fixed contract, but I'm out on my ear again in June. Have you applied to be an examiner? They're crying out for them at the moment, but the deadline is on Friday! I know it's only a months work, but better than being on the dole. Have you considered community art? Have you tried the FE colleges? They would do night classes etc to boost your income.
    Have you been looking at your ETB websites? They're all starting to advertise now. Have you considered going back to college and doing another module, like religion, to get your foot in the door of a school? Both the art teachers I work with are in the same boat, just trying to slog it out until they can get CID. I know its disheartening, 5 years of college and it's like they were a waste of time, but with the 2500 new teaching jobs promised over the next 2 years things could pick up! In my area there are 2 new schools opening in September. Would you consider moving? I don't know where you're based but small towns are full of nepotism, cities less so... Teaching is all I've wanted to do since I was a child, and we've just got to stay optimistic! Things will get better.
    If you're simply sick of teaching and you want to change careers have you looked at any museums or art gallerys? You'll always be able to get a job 9-5 with the likes of Abtran, if you're looking for security, but it'd be a pay drop, have you considered doing a night course in the areas of medical or dental secretary? It would take a year by night, but a lot of teachers I know have done it and they've gotten good 9-5 jobs. If you would consider a move to the UK, and if you didn't want to teach, education recruitment or educational consultants might be the way to go.
    Hope this helps, keep your head up, you can do this.