1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help-I don't know whether to resign or not!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Georgia99, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I want to leave teaching, I don't enjoy working with teenagers and find the role extremely stressful. I am a NQT and loved the PGCE but was not prepared for the realities of being a teacher.
    I have applied for other jobs and been offered interviews but when they find out I am tied in until 30 April they tell me it is too long as they need someone sooner (understandably).
    I am seeing that my only choice is to give notice by the end of February but if I don't gain a job for the start of May I will be unemployed and unable to pay my mortgage. But if I don't leave I know I will end up being signed off with stress as I really cannot cope with teaching.
    The other thing I am concerned about is whether my school will be upset as I am covering a maternity leave, even though I will be giving notice according to my contract it will leave them having to find another replacement for the remainder of the academic year. I am teaching Social Science and HSC and when they advertised for the mat post I am covering they only had 2 applicants. I am worried that this may mean they will give me a poor reference, although I have achieved a 'good' rating in my observation so know I shouldn't receive one.

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

If you are never going to return to teaching, you can leave when you like and just walk out. Although that is technically breach of contract, no HT would ever enforce it. The teacher concerned would just go sick.
    If you get another job away from teaching and it can start before the end of April, go for it. A HT can also accept a resignation at any time.
    You have to do what's right for you.

3. Personally I don't think you should just walk out, I feel that will leave the HT in a dilema regarding writing you a good reference. I feel you should be honest to yourself and place the notice in before the end of feb, if you are so sre it is not for you then that will give you time to sign onto agencies etc and if you explain to an ew employer that your notice is in they may actually be more favourable in when you start. If the time comes and you have no job well you can always look at supply or office agency work to tide you over.
    Despite all that can I say your NQT is a tough year and that you really need to make sure you are completely against teaching or just finding this role tough. There may be another school out there for you, if you have, as you say a mortgage then please think your decision through carefully.

I do agree you have to do what's right for you and only you know what that is but weigh up all the options, in this day and age, at the moment you have a way of paying the bills and given more time may find this is just a rough patch that you can work through especially if, as you say, you enjoyed the pgce. Maybe explore other teaching avenues, LSA, Cover Supervisor, different age group.......

Good Luck!!

4. I would think about it carefully. Do not let yourself be pushed out of a job, especially by horrible kids or staff. Think about yourself. Think in the long term too. I found the first four years of teaching quite hard. It didn't help that I was in a very tough school. I got to the point where I thought that all schools were like that. Ten years on, I take everything in my stride and am working in a lovely school. Everything passes. I think that you should at least give it until the end of your contract and decide then. Just think about how delighted some horrible kids would be if they knew you left your job because of the stress of dealing with them. Why give them the satisfaction? Teaching is a reasonably well-paid job with fairly good prospects. Don't walk out on it without careful thought.

5. aw27

aw27 New commenter

Have you considered a different age group? I only say this as I had many years teaching primary and had enough and like you, wanted out of teaching. However as its not that easy to get a job outside teaching with only teaching experience (!) I ended up teaching difficult teenagers - something I NEVER thought I would do in a million years and I really like it. And yes I was absolutely certain I had had enough of teaching, it wasn't just a whim.
    Perhaps use the time you are 'stuck' in this job to register with agencies (as someone else said) but try a different age range instead.
    If you try it and hate it then you will know for certain it's teaching that's not for you not just the age group/school.