1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I can't sleep! Back ache.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by LeilaKay, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hi all, i am 31weeks now and suffering major backache. Please share your best sleep positions. I also suffer from trapped wind, its like a permenant bubble stuck under my right rib cage.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks in advance LK. x

2. Hi all, i am 31weeks now and suffering major backache. Please share your best sleep positions. I also suffer from trapped wind, its like a permenant bubble stuck under my right rib cage.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks in advance LK. x

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I've used mothercare support belts / bands a bit, sitting on a birth ball, sleeping with a pillow between my knees and also using a summer duvet folded in half as a mattress topper. Try to wedge a pillow under your bump to support its weight as you sleep as that will pull on your back.
    Also I've used a microwavable warm wheat pack to soothe it and obviously warm baths.
    Are you using gaviscon for trapped wind? Maybe try to cut out citrus fruits and chocolate if you''re still eating those.
    xxx

4. trish82

trish82 New commenter

From about 16 weeks, I had the sleep problems and I spoke to the midwife. She recommended pilates/yoga and although I can't say it was a miracle cure, it certainly taught me some relaxation techniques to help me switch off. I also find pilates is a great way of stretching out the back, getting rid of aches and pains! I do it for around 30 - 50 minutes as often as I can. For this, I use a DVD called pre-natal pilates - 10 minute solutions. I bought it from amazon and you can do as much or as little as you have time for. I'm starting a block of pregnancy yoga on the 21st Feb too.
    OH also went to Mothercare and bought me a maternity pillow - brilliant invention, but tucking ordinary pillows between your legs and propping yourself up with pillows behind also works! I sleep on my left with the mat pillow under my bump and the lower half of it between my legs. I'm mega propped up at the head end too - with about 3 pillows! Also, have a doubled over single duvet under my sheet (on top of the mattress) for a bit of padding as I was getting pins and needles at first.
    Coolgiraffe - excellent idea with the wheat bag! A wee while ago, I had my hot water bottle and wheat bag on the go at the same time...blissful!
    Hope this helps!

Trish 28+3

5. I used use the V shaped pillow, really helped me x