1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! I am teaching Where in the World is Barnaby Bear (Y2)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by coolcat, Sep 10, 2011.

1. I am just about to start this topic and need help with ideas. We are sending Barnaby home with a different child each weekend and he is keeping a diary.
    I really need ideas for what to do in my actual geography lessons with him. I have a video with him visiting places but what do people do as activities? What do you record in books? Any ideas welcome!!!!!!

2. I am just about to start this topic and need help with ideas. We are sending Barnaby home with a different child each weekend and he is keeping a diary.
    I really need ideas for what to do in my actual geography lessons with him. I have a video with him visiting places but what do people do as activities? What do you record in books? Any ideas welcome!!!!!!

3. I did Barnaby Bear (love his voice in the videos lol) with my Year 1's. We only looked at France because geography was once a week. We did postcards, learnt basic French, decided what we would need to pack, made passports, did a travel log each week, French food day, poster for France, did our own 'Waterlillies' by Monet pastel pictures....hope there is something you can do there xx

4. Thanks, yes that is helpful. I was going to start with Dublin but I can adapt some of those ideas and then perhaps spend a few weeks on France.
    Thanks!

5. Could they produce a factfile about each country - you could use the same worksheet for each country -
    Country name
    Language(s) spoken
    Currency etc
    Yes I know they won't know what 'currency' means but they should by the end of the topic!

6. Try BBC website for more ideas. Packing for travel, giving directions using a street map etc.
    Not as charming as the video (It was fantastic!!) but loads there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/barnabybear/

7. You might need to check the date of the videos - I have a vague recollection that they still spend punts in Dublin rather than the Euro.

8. Barnaby Bear has an official Facebook page where people were sharing photos from around the world. Haven't been on it for a while but it may be helpful!
    :)

(for teachers.... Not pupils....)

9. Thank you for all the great ideas! One more thing - if you're doing a fact page, how would you differentiate that? So for example Barnaby bear has been to Dublin ad the children do a fact page to show what they have learnt. How would you differentiate the task or the sheet?