1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP- HOW TO RUN WORLD BOOK DAY WITH NO BUDGET???

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by karenmcampbell, Jan 31, 2018.

1. karenmcampbell

karenmcampbell New commenter

Hello all
    I am ' Reading Ambassador' in a Grammar school [ Boys] and as such have to put on some school wide activities to celebrate 'World Book Day'. Previously, we have had authors in etc but there is no money for that this year.
    Any ideas gladly appreciated!

2. sah79

sah79 Occasional commenter

These are ideas for primary age but might work for older ones too

Extreme reading challenge...
    kids have to bring in photos of them doing 'extreme reading' - can be somewhere exotic if you run it over the holidays, or something easier like reading whilst doing a headstand or playing football etc

Book awards - each class in the year/key stage reads the same books (from your school/local library or class books you already have if there's no budget) then vote on their favourites and then have a special awards ceremony.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

One year, we were asked to spend the last half hour of the day reading a book to whatever class we happened to have in front of us at that point. I had a KS3 class, who really appreciated it - I don't know whether it went down as well at the upper end.

4. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

If not already helping get some Year 12 involved from English dept. and also science (they forget science themes exist in books) to organise things. UCAS applications always gets them involved! If no money maybe you have a local bookshop or chain that would send someone free to talk about some aspect. Maybe you have a local uni with some kind of outreach or PhD student wanting to do something.

5. BetterNow

BetterNow Occasional commenter

Book swap. Everyone brings in a book they no longer want and swap.

Write a school book. Within each class, each student writes a chapter (or page) and passes it on (I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue style). Each student continues on and the story can go in whatever direction they want. You'll and up with weird and wonderful stories, but with minimal writing. The fun is when the new person changes the direction of the story dramatically.

Why does it have to be a massive money costing 'thing'?

Just open the library and get them to read - for fun. Don't make them analyse or write reviews. Just read for fun.

mothorchid and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Check out the World Book Day site - there will probably be ideas there.

nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Put a book review page on your website/intranet/whatever.

Take the ambassador idea and the more reviews they contribute the higher up the ambassadorial food-chain they progress.

Charge d'affaires
    Foreign Secretary
    Vice-consul
    Consular Delegate

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Make a display showing staff reading, all subjects and not just teachers, and write their reviews and suggestions of books up too. Start each lesson with fifteen minutes quiet reading (allow magazines). Ask a local book shop for some prizes to use in competitions, raffles, etc.
    There are many secondary schools who run events and have never been given a budget for them. This is not judgemental, just my experience.

sally90 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Prepare jumbo speech bubbles titled 'At the moment I am reading .......by.....' Get them laminated and encourage staff to use whiteboard markers to fill them in and place them in prominent positions in classrooms/on doors. Sorry-I would've been able to supply you with a template but I've binned everything from my laptop files since retiring!! That way the pupils can see that the staff are not only participating, but actively reading regularly themselves (even if you can't get beyond three pages in bed at night during term-time before dropping off!:().

phlogiston and mothorchid like this.
  10. warburtonja

warburtonja New commenter

My last school did a 'shelfie' competition. Staff took a picture of one of their bookshelves (at home or in office) and the idea was to guess who it belonged to. Could be just for staff or for pupils as well.

JTL, bflat, strawbs and 5 others like this.
  11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

See if you can get staff or pupils to do a postcard on "a book that really moved / changed me".
    If you do the "at the moment I am reading" do get people to edit them. Some people have been reading the same book for three years in the school I visit on a regular basis.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/45.Best_Books_for_Teen_Boys

Give everyone colour-coded stickers to put on this list.

Red - book I didn't finish
    Blue - favourite book
    Yellow - book that sounds interesting but I haven't yet read
    Green - maybe out of my comfort zone but sounds intriguing

Like a poll or something.

Curae and minnie me like this.
  13. bflat

bflat New commenter

We had book lunches at one school. Staff volunteered to have lunch with some of the kids in a classroom and talked about their favourite three books and why. Was nice! Very chilled out.

14. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Would the staff be up for dressing like a character from a favourite book? My place did that last year - big hit with the students.

Curae likes this.
  15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Take a short story split it into 5 or however many lessons you have in a day, and have staff or a student to read a section out loud as a start activity each period. Ie section 1 lesson 1 section 2 lesson 2. If it’s a twist in the tale type story the kids get excited about hearing the last section. Ours did, even the 6th form.

roydenkeith likes this.
  16. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I'm assuming you don't have a school librarian. If you do, for goodness sake speak to them!! Otherwise, PM me and I can share resources. I do this kind of stuff monthly.

17. roydenkeith

roydenkeith New commenter

Roald Dahl Kiss Kiss short stories would be great for Yr9+ with this

18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I would start by demanding your own embassy and diplomatic immunity...

BetterNow likes this.
  19. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I used to run a whole department for 10 years with no budget, I’m sure you can manage running world book DAY.

Ppft, English teachers

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Make a pin board of post-its, where they have all been given a minute to answer the question-"what is a book?"

Do another one for "my favourite book and why" On this one, they write their name on the back. Pin 'em all up. Have them come out and look, or read some out. Then run a competition to see if they can guess who from the class wrote which one.

Or another one where they write a plot summary (maybe give them a maximum word count) and the others have to guess which book it is.

Another idea is you can generate a homework a week in advance-they have to bring a photo or drawing of their bookshelf at home. Again, pin them up, and run a competition to see if they can identify the shelf.

After all of this, then you are freed up to worry about budget for nuts and bolts-board pens and exercise books. O, and a new block of Post-its.

BetterNow likes this.