1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Help: How science works? Interview lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by ttxes12, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ttxes12

ttxes12 New commenter

I have an interview on Friday to teach a 50 minute lesson on how science works to a mixed ability year 7 group.
    I am trying to think of some ideas. I understand that it has to be skills based, whether this is practicals, making predictions, analysing evidence and coming up with own conclusions.

So far i have:
    Concept of density, why we float in the sea or swimming pool? Why a coke can will sink and a diet coke can will float? Why hot things rise etc. Doing an investigation surrounding this and using the pupils to model density. White boards and density quiz.
    A lesson about evidence and how as scientists you have to go off the evidence you have at that time and how you may gradually collect more evidence and your conclusion may change. However this would be very much me doing.
    Convection circus, lots of different experiments demonstrating convection, put into groups and each groups does there investigation. Then they get into groups and explain there experiment and what happened to come up with an explanations. So peer teaching.
    Compounds and mixtures. Getting pupils to come up with own experiments by giving them a set of equipment. A mixture of compounds or objects and then asking them to make up there own method on how they would seperate the mixture with the equipment given.
    Any other ideas please? Has anyone had any success with this kind of thing before at interview??

2. ttxes12

ttxes12 New commenter

I have an interview on Friday to teach a 50 minute lesson on how science works to a mixed ability year 7 group.
    I am trying to think of some ideas. I understand that it has to be skills based, whether this is practicals, making predictions, analysing evidence and coming up with own conclusions.

So far i have:
    Concept of density, why we float in the sea or swimming pool? Why a coke can will sink and a diet coke can will float? Why hot things rise etc. Doing an investigation surrounding this and using the pupils to model density. White boards and density quiz.
    A lesson about evidence and how as scientists you have to go off the evidence you have at that time and how you may gradually collect more evidence and your conclusion may change. However this would be very much me doing.
    Convection circus, lots of different experiments demonstrating convection, put into groups and each groups does there investigation. Then they get into groups and explain there experiment and what happened to come up with an explanations. So peer teaching.
    Compounds and mixtures. Getting pupils to come up with own experiments by giving them a set of equipment. A mixture of compounds or objects and then asking them to make up there own method on how they would seperate the mixture with the equipment given.
    Any other ideas please? Has anyone had any success with this kind of thing before at interview??

3. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

*their*

Seems optimistic for Year 7

4. Have a look on the upd8 website and see the type of thing... I would also talk to people at school and ask them what they understand by how science works and see it if matches up with what it says in the national curriculum