1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - How does speaking & listening help support children's reading & writing!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Marm0010, Apr 6, 2007.

1. I'm doing the above for an assignment - been going since 9.30am and got about 500 words done - none of which make much sense!!

help - does anyone have any words of wisdom, I really dont know what is wrong with me!

Thanks-you x

2. I'm doing the above for an assignment - been going since 9.30am and got about 500 words done - none of which make much sense!!

help - does anyone have any words of wisdom, I really dont know what is wrong with me!

Thanks-you x

3. Are you at St Martins? It sounds like one of theirs...

I looked at role play in early years and how it can be used to encourage children to write when they are 'pretending'

4. Hiya Babyjee...

Yes I am at St Martins. Usually I can get stuck in with things like this but I'm really struggling at the minute.
    Thanks for the suggestions though.

5. invincible

invincible New commenter

You could talk about the fact that Sp&L is AT1 in the English curriculum and, as such, shows that it is of utmost importance in developing a child's reading and writing skills. Talk always comes before these two and thus should be encouraged and exploited in developing reading and writing skills.

Look at and examine methods used in teaching to do this such as role play, hot seating, talking partners, shared and guided reading and writing, etc. and that these methods help to verbalise thoughts that can subsequently be used to support individual reading and writing.

Read up on Vygotsky's "Thought and Language" and books by people like Prue Goodwin and Margaret Donaldson for the theories behind it all.

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

BTW I was at St Martins 1999 - 2002 and did a similar assignment and then did my dissertation on Speaking and Listening.

7. Thank you for all the advise, its really helpful x

8. You could also talk about how speaking and listening is a good motivational tool for boys who don't enjoy creative writing.

That S&L can be used with low ability groups who don't have writing ability.

9. teachur

teachur New commenter

If you can, get your hands on a copy of "Psychology for Teachers" by David Fontana. This maps the developmental stages in children from birth, and i am sure, from memory, discussed the importance of speaking and listenign from a very early age.

10. Hi there
    I am doing this exact topic for my 8000 word dissertation!

Speaking and Listening essential - helps children rehearse ideas before comitting to paper - helps them become familiar with story events, seuencing etc by acting out, role play etc.
    Talk about 'paired talk' and small group discussion and how children get opportunity to try out ideas - its part of the planning process.
    Read anything by Roy Corden, Jane Medwell, David Wray.
    Make sure you discuss that speaking and listening were not included in the National Lit Strategy, but have now been included in the Primary National Framework as specific objectives. Why were they ever left out when they are paramount in the National Curriculum? That should give you a good argument on the whole topic.
    Hope this helps.