1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! How can I improve my handwriting?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by creido, Apr 9, 2019.

1. creido

creido New commenter

I am starting my PGCE Primary in September. I'll be expected to teach handwriting but my own is awful. Any tips on improving my handwriting before I start the course would be appreciated.

2. Lalaland05

Lalaland05 New commenter

Print a cursive handwriting booklet that would be given to the children and practice yourself! That’s what I did.

creido and bonxie like this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some excellent advice from Laland05. There is no shortcut, alas. Practice, practice, practice! Start with the really simple exercises and then build up to complete words and finally snetences.

I became quite interested in calligraphy and used to buy special sets of nibs and inks. This led to one memorable moment during my PGCE course, when a lecturer was moaning and complaining about the dreadful handwriting of most PGCE students. "What about this?" I asked, taking out a handwritten letter that I had been writing to my aunt. There was an awkward silence.

creido and bonxie like this.