1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Homeschooling My Son

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stranded13, May 8, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems the best place. I live abroad in a small third world country. I have to homeschool my son because there are no International School around. I have started teaching him how to read using Jolly Phonics. We are going to start the long vowels but I am VERY confused as to approach them. For example, the first one is the 'AI' sound. In the workbook, it only uses words with the letters AI, but in the teacher's book and the grammar book, it also mentions the other ways of making the 'AI' sound, such ay or a-e. So should I show teach those to my son too, using worksheets from the internet? Or am I supposed to introduce the other ways of making the AI sound later? Same goes with the other long vowels sounds. The JP only seems to introduce one spelling for each sound in one book and then the other spellings in a different book. I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am very confused and I want to do it right.

2. Most schools now use the letters and sounds document http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/84969
    In this the long vowel phonemes are taught in phase 3 and then the alternative ways of spelling them are introduced later in phase 5 once the child is comfortable with the sound.

Hope this helps a bit