1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help! home time ASD child

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by prt204, Mar 15, 2012.

1. I'm hoping that you can give me some more ideas for strategies for a child I'm supporting.
    Today, it took 20mins and then 3 people to get this boy out of our setting and into his car (and I've just spoken to his mum who said that he had a total meltdown in the car and has taken him an hour to calm down).
    We've got a visual timetable which I go through with him and we take off all of the symbols, him saying each and doing the sign for finished. There is a symbol for home and a picture of him smiling with his mum. He has his coat and bag on ready and I say very clearly 'hometime' - this has worked brilliantly since we had problems in September but this week it has gone pear-shaped. He cries and runs under the table.
    I use simple language and the home sign and have asked his mum to use simple language but she doesn't and starts negotiating with him using lots of words, and today left him under the table whilst she was talking to other people.
    Do you think it's because of her lack of clarity (I don't mean to sound harsh - I understand how hard it is for her since I'm the mother of an ASD child myself) and I should re-emphasise how important it is for her to be clear and firm with him? What other strategies could I use?
    Thanks in advance, it's really distressing for all involved.

2. We have had a similar issue (special school for children with ASD) with a boy in class. Is your child collected from the classroom by mum?
    After weeks of trying a whole range of strategies we found that his best response is to one particular member of class staff who takes hold of his hand and whisks him out of the classroom and into the playground (not the same exit as the other children use) and basically smiles, laughs, cajoles and plays about as they walk around to the main entrance where he would wait for his bus group with the TA. He is very happy and smiley and has adapted well to this. After half a term of using this strategy she is now able to bring him from the classroom to reception using the same exit as all the other children. Our next step is to take him from the classroom to the main hall (where all the children wait for their bus groups to be ready) using the same route as the other children.
    Is it possible that you could try doing something similar, maybe also consider not using the visual supports for the end of the day, and use a different exit route and meet mum in an agreed place to hand him over (or take him to the car). At the very least it would remove the problem from the classroom.

3. R13

R13 New commenter

Do you just take off symbols of things that are finished effectively saying it is time to go or do you add ones about what is happening next - e.g. car, home, computer?

It might help

4. Thanks for your replies. We do have another exit we could use to get him out to his mum away from the other children - we'll try that.
    Regarding the visual symbols, we take away what he has done and the last one is home - I would say that we couldn't put on what's next because his mum probably couldn't guarantee it and if he kicks off in the car and wants to go to grandma's, say, the whole family changes their plans to do this to calm him down. In short, we can't control what happens after he's left us so it's best to focus on just getting him out and into the car safely.

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

What about a social story for going home?

6. You could maybe try a photo of his mum's car to replace the 'home' symbol?

7. Possibly try a transitional object instead of a symbol? Something to carry to the car at the end of the day...maybe a toy car

8. Hi

What about if his mum stays in the car - just to keep things simple?

Also, if you have some sort of motivating object that he gets once he is in the car, this might make the transition a lot easier. Could be a favourite toy or something edible. You could take a pic and put it on the pecs strip.

Hope it works - must be distressing for you both.....

Lou

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, that very practice of appeasement by the family is likely contributing to the problems you're having currently.
    I know you cannot control what happens after he leaves class, but if you could have the family agree to follow up with something simple, like always having a favorite toy, Ipod etc that could be waiting in the car for him, that could be another incentive.

10. just a thought... there may well be a reason why he doesn't want to go home / go with mum. It sounds like this is a new behaviour, and I'm no expert, but your post indicates that perhaps mum is not as effective in managing to be consistent with him.
    He sounds like a challenging child, who may be unable to communicate the real reason why he wants to go home.
    I agree that getting mum to meet him in another place other than the classroom, ensuring she has a predetermined activity / toy for him to have in the car should be the next step. Whilst in the classroom with mum he may be getting mixed messages and not really know who is in charge. Take him to mum out of school - she is in charge then, not the staff.