1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! HLTA being put forward for CPT3A, salary advice needed

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by beardedgeorge92, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Hi all!

Ill make this nice and quick, I'm a HLTA working in a busy secondary school working 32 hours on a 39 week contract. The school have put me forward to complete CPT3A, which I am enthusiastic about, but I basically want to know if I should be getting a salary increase or not? My salary is not brilliant to be honest, so I just would like to know if there is anyone else out there who has been in the same position?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

What is CPT3A - I've never heard of it? Not sure if I will be able to help at all, but I'm interested!

3. It's basically like a heavy duty course that enables you to carry out psychometric exam arrangement tests, to judge a student's needs for their exams. I've been accepted by the school to do the course but I was just wondering if anyone else has done it :)

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Just googled . It is the combination of the certificate of competence in educational testing along with access arrangements course. Looks like an interesting course but hard work.

5. Yeah it does look like its gonna be a heavy course that will entail major new responsibilities, so basically I wanted some advice as to whether I should be requesting a salary increase :/

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You can ask they can only say no. I know others mainly sencos who have these qualifications and don't get paid any more but it really up to individual schools. Once you have the qualifications you can I believe do private assessments or even do them in other schools.

7. terri14

terri14 New commenter

I know I'm a bit late to the party here but I was in a similar situation and did the CPT3a and got a pay rise. It makes sense, if you're offering something over and above the role requirements / job description then you should be paid more. Did you do the CPT3a in the end? What did you think of it?