1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Helping very low ability Year 6 writers/readers to get to level 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mooncheek, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

l'll be new to Year 6 in Sept-been in 4/5 for 4 years, teaching high ability English,-excited \bout teaching Year 6, but very concerned about the English group. Could anyone recommend any resources or techniques please?

2. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

l'll be new to Year 6 in Sept-been in 4/5 for 4 years, teaching high ability English,-excited \bout teaching Year 6, but very concerned about the English group. Could anyone recommend any resources or techniques please?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How low is 'low'?

If they are level 3b+ then you will be fine with just good teaching, really what you are used to in year 4/5.

If they are level 3c then you will need to do a lot of rehashing of level 3 work and then move on to level 4, crossing your fingers hard. One to one tuition might also help this group.

If they are below level 3 then they need IEPs and input from the SEN team to have a hope.

Jumpstart literacy and Jumpstart storytelling both have excellent ideas in them.

4. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Thank you minnieminx, they are 3c and I'm worrying about them being able to make a whole level in a year-some of them will get 1:1, but there are so many 3CS that not all will get it-it's not a great cohort for English skills. Thanks again, will look at what is expected for level 3, then level 4. My concern is how I can get them to make so much progress, when they are low ability.If anyone else has any further ideas, I'd be very grateful.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure about your school, but in mine 3c at the start of year 6 is not considered 'low ability' but 'booster group material'. They don't need to make 'so much progress' only 3 sublevels and they are definitely not of such ability they can't make progress.

Booster class, lots of focused work on the skills that are stopping them reaching level 4 (you will need to analyse their writing for that) and high expectations will be all you need.

6. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Thank you again, minnieminx They will be expected to make 1 level/ 3 sub levels, yes. but 3 may be pushing it.I Hopefully they will be able to.

7. Ros Wilson's Big Writing (sometimes referred to as VCOP)! The BEST thing by far for helping children make masses of progress in a short space of time. Can't recommend it [​IMG]enough.

8. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I use every opportunity to get in extra literacy eg in topic work I try and get an extended writing session in every week and treat it more like a literacy lesson than a topic lesson.
    I use lots of modelling which goes up on the working wall.
    Short term targets which we focus on at the beginning of most literacy lessons eg we'll spend a week on using although and however correctly

9. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Thank you very much- I am definitely going to have a bash at Ros Wilson-I hung back from it because we use SPACE rather than VCOP, but I'm sure the ideas will be easy to system. Also, more extended writing sounds a great idea, as I'm sure they will struggle with long writing in the SATS.

10. mooncheek

mooncheek New commenter

Meant to say ' I'm sure that the ideas will be easy use within our system'.