1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Head won't give me time off to attend a last minute interview

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lamplighter123, Feb 25, 2016.

1. lamplighter123

lamplighter123 New commenter

I'm in a really tight spot. I went for an interview earlier in the week but withdrew. The interview took place on one of my days off (I work part time). This afternoon, the Head of the 'new' school asked me to go in again for another interview tomorrow and I would like to go. It would mean taking the morning off. I rang my HoD and spoke to him but, stupidly didn't speak to my present Head to ask his permission. I arranged cover for the lessons I would miss. I have now had a text from my HoD telling me that the Head is unhappy with me and does not want me to go as it might impact on Y11. It won't - I don't see Y11 tomorrow.He says I can go on Mon or Tues if a suitable time can be found. Obviously, that's after the cut off date for Easter resignations. My HoD tells me that the Head's 'advice' is to be in school tomorrow.
    What do I do? I have absolutely no intention of continuing to work at my current school after this year.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I suggest that you turn up before 8 am, see the Head, explain that you don't have year 11

Best wishes

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You need to rearrange the interview and go into work. I appreciate that you will miss the cut off point but you might be able to negotiate a leaving date with your HT assuming that you are successful.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

As Theo says, but if Head won't budge ...

Monday is the cut off day. If all else fails could you ask the 'new' school to see you on Monday, explaining why, and then you have time to hand your notice in at the end of the day if you have been successful. The 'new' school ought to make some accommodation as they have given you very short notice for the interview and must realise that the 29th is fast approaching. Of course, there's a possibility that they are interviewing others tomorrow and so can't wait until Monday. Any chance you could go after school tomorrow as another alternative.

frangipani123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. lamplighter123

I suggest that you turn up before 8 am, see the Head, explain that you don't have year 11

Best wishes

Thank you. I'll definitely go in. I've sent an email to the 'new' school to try to rearrange for Monday.

Lesson learned!

frangipani123 likes this.
  6. lamplighter123

Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to speak to the Head tomorrow and try to arrange something that will suit us both.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Good luck @lamplighter123 both with chat with the Head and the interview (if you manage to get one).

Just a thought - you don't have Yr11 on Monday do you?

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you withdrew after the last interview, then surely this is a school where you don't wish to work. Why are you intending to go again for another interview?

Does your head know you went to the first interview?

9. stampedeguy

stampedeguy New commenter

you could have suggested that you meet the head of the new school over the weekend at a time and place of your choosing.

It sounds like the 'new' school is desperate for a teacher and that your present school is desperate not to lose one on the last possible date!

go for it, there is no loyalty to anyone in education, except to yourself!

minnie me and Scintillant like this.
  10. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Go in tomorrow morning and speak to the HT in the office. Give them the resolution to the problem and tell them that you have teachers who are available to cover the lesson.
    The HT is still obliged to say no as it's very short notice and even though you aren't teaching Year 11. It's still causing an interruption to the other pupils education even though they will probably have a member of your department covering that class, they will see it as a way to 'push their boundaries'

Don't take offence to this, but if I was your HT, I would allow you to go to the interview on the basis that there is minimal disruption to classes (which you've put that provision in place). I would want staff who are fully committed and loyal to the school.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't let's forget thaat there is no right to absent oneself from school for any interview. The Head can always say No.

Best wishes

12. lamplighter123

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to reply. After my wobble at the first selection day, the HT did allow me to go for an interview on Monday, and I got the job. Now to drag the last pieces of coursework out of my reluctant Y11s before I leave...

13. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Well done :)

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent! And not too long to go.

Best wishes for your post in your new school, @lamplighter123 !

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Congratulations, even if withdrawing and the head asking you back in is a little 'hashtag weird!'