1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Help! Haven't got a QTS certificate a year after qualifying.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by beryljinker, May 16, 2012.

  1. I qualified with QTS in July last year, and after qualifying decided to take a year out to work abroad before beginning my NQT year.

    I am now back in the UK and have just started to apply for September jobs. Most application forms are asking for my teacher reference number, and unfortunately although I have written it down I have written two 7 digit numbers on the piece of paper, one says 'teacher reference number' and one says 'TDA reference number' and I am not sure which one I need.

    Everywhere I look says this should be found on my QTS certificate. The only certificate I have is my university certificate, which does not include any reference number. A little more internet search suggests that this university certificate is not proof on my QTS, and that I should have received a certificate from the GTC after qualifying, which I didn't.

    Since I graduated the GTC now seems to have been disbanded, and I have absolutely no idea how to go about getting a QTS certificate. I cannot find the relevant contact details and now I am panicking thinking I will not be able to apply for September jobs.

    I qualified in England but I am applying for jobs in both England and Wales as I live on the border. The GTC for Wales still exists, but I am not yet registered with them and don't think I can without my QTS certificate.

    Does anybody know how I can obtain my QTS certificate? Most sources seem to say I should have received it automatically, but it seems I never did. Who should I contact and how?

    Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.
  2. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Witht he disbanding of the GTCE the database was transferred to the DfE so you can check with them whether you are on the list of qualified teachers they maintain for England.The details are on their website education.gov.uk
  3. The GTCE records are now held by the Teaching Agency which is part of the DfE. You can contact them direct and they will be able to help you. Your QTS certificate would have been sent by the GTC sometime in August last year to the address they held on their database. The Teaching Agency is no longer issuing certificates. The GTCW which is still in existence can check with the teaching agency that you have QTS so that you can work in Wales.
    The contact for the Teaching Agency is:
    Teacher Enquiry Line
    The Teacher Enquiry Line handles queries about teacher induction, qualified teacher status and teacher regulation.
    Tel: 0370 496 8324
    Email: teacher.enquiry@education.gsi.gov.uk
    The Sage

  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Did you pass all the Skills tests?
    QTS is not awarded if any of the Skills tests are failed and candidates may just have a PGCE, without QTS, from their ITT provider.

Share This Page