1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help.have dress up for world book day, no money, so need advise..

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daffodilval, Feb 22, 2011.

1. All staff and kids are to dress up as a book character for world book day next week, no way can I afford to hire anything and my wardrobe had few basic clothes in, any ideas?

2. All staff and kids are to dress up as a book character for world book day next week, no way can I afford to hire anything and my wardrobe had few basic clothes in, any ideas?

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I do too - I am going as either a fairy or ballerina as I have some pink/white bits and bobs. Other fairly easy ones would be a witch, or Hermione Granger if you have grey school uniform type stuff and something you could fashion a cloak out of?!

Or what about Miss Turnblad (I think?) from Matilda? Severe suit & tight high bun with perma-scowl and something in hand to hit on desks.

4. cally, Dept Head did Miss Turnbad last year..thanks anyway

5. Last year I dressed up as the Gruffalo (In fact, may use this outfit again this year as I am at a new school).
    I wore all brown (depends on your normal wardrobe but for me I had everything I needed including brown boots).
    I cut up an egg carton so that all the egg holder bits were seperate. Then I painted each bit purple and used safety pins to attach them to my back for my purple prickles.
    Made a tail out of paper, taped paper claws to the top of my boots, painted a poisonous wart at the end of my nose and spent the morning eating black jacks (which didn't actually turn my tongue as black as I had hoped but they were yummy anyway).

6. *Made a tail out of brown crepe paper

7. Haha, bet you looked fab, unfortuanltly, I don't have/do brown clothes.
    Keep em coming please.

8. Little Red Riding Hood?

9. 2 pieces of advice...
    1. Use a 'c' in the word advice
    2. Dress up as one of the children from Peter Pan- pyjamas, umbrella, teddy

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Get together with a colleague and be 'thing one and thing two' from The Cat in the Hat.

Black trousers, bright red top (I used a pyjama one) and blue wool hair. Then just make a sign from paper to pin on your front. done!

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Last year I went as Miss Marple- suit, hat (borrowed from my mpther), handbag with newspaper (open on the crossword) & knitting poking out.

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I have to think of a cheap, easy costume as well. I was thinking of Captain Haddock. I already have the beard, just need to find the hat.

13. Pippi Longstocking!
    Last year for book week I had on a short dress, stripy socks over the knee and boots. I plaited my hair with wire so they stuck out and finished them with ribbon. I then took my eyeliner and dotted 'freckles' over my nose. Job done!

14. I've previously dressed up as Mrs Wishy Washy. Really easy to do.

15. we have to be nursery rhyme characters this year!!! I'll just get my Bo Peep outfit out of the wardrobe (not)

16. I'm wearing a pink t shirt from last summer - rather faded, a downloaded pig mask with a stuck on hair bow and earrings - Mummy Pig! Didn't cost a thing.
    Friend going as Burglar Bill - jeans, blue and white striped top, homemade eye mask and hessian sack from greengrocers.
    I find this dressing up business a tad stressful to be honest!