1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Handed in Notice - No Acknowledgement!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ocsanonymous, May 25, 2017.

1. ocsanonymous

ocsanonymous New commenter

I have handed in my notice last week (approx 2 weeks before the cut off date) as i am moving to a school nearby where i live. I am an NQT and this is my first time dealing with resignation in a school. I emailed the notice to my headteacher and another member of the SLT. I then went and let that member of SLT know that i emailed my notice in and copied them in too. My HOD was present when i emailed the notice. However i am yet to still receive an email of acknowledgement from the head. I am aware that the SLT and my HOD have already started looking for candidates for the job. My question is should i be concerned that i have not received a reply of acknowledgement from the head? I have seen the head around and we have said our usual hello's and hi's since I've emailed him but he has not said anything about it. Should i be concerned? I have accepted my other job offer already.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No need to be concerned. But do one thing. Print out your resignation as a formal letter and hand hard copy to the HT and HoD.

You haven't missed the date. It's fine. Maybe some schools are totally transitioned to the 21st century but hard copy is recommended in these cases.

3. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

Yes, hand in a hard copy. Always hand in hard copy. Your HT should either sign the resignation letter and send you a photocopy or send you a note acknowledging your resignation.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Strange that the Head did not acknowledge it if they spoke to you in passing. When I gave in my notice to retire, the Head cam eround to thank me for the early notice and my work over the years. while, no doubt, thanking me in her mind for the chance to replace a top of UPS teacher with somebody down the scale, and to give my TLR to a younger, ambitious teacher they did not want to lose!

I agree with handing in hard copy, but why not also say something to the Head? But I would not worry about it - there seems to be plenty of evidence of your email, especially if you sent it on the school system, bcc to your home email.

thekillers and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You must do this as a formal letter.

grumpydogwoman, joLT and wanet like this.
  6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Yes, formal letter, email as well as braces.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I spoke directly to HT, then handed in my letter. HT then sent the same day a letter accepting my resignation.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just bad manners on HT's behalf. Nothing to worry about. You've handed in your notice, you've got a provable audit trail (print off sent email as evidence) and you're in time for cut-off dates.

Relax. Congratulations on the new role:)

blueskydreaming likes this.
  9. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

My resignation last year was not acknowledged at all by my school, not in writing or verbally (the Head never once looked at me or spoke to me the whole time I was there). From my current school I received a thank you note from the Head (this was in response to me confirming the end of my maternity contract!). Worlds apart these two schools.

10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

My resignation from my previous school was not acknowledged either.
    Neither did I receive any thanks for the fifteen years hard work!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I left my first three posts without ever having said two words to the head after my interview.
    Certainly never got an acknowledgement of a resignation.

thekillers likes this.
  12. mollyhog

mollyhog Occasional commenter

I've resigned 3 times - never received any sort of acknowledgement from the head. (but I would definitely make sure you hand in a hard copy!)

13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I did a six week stint as an unqualified teacher in the early 80s, on my final day, the HT invited me to his office and together with the head of department thanked me effusively advised me to apply for teacher training and promised me a glowing reference for both the training and my first position.

Conversely I left my first school as a qualified teacher after 3 years and not a word was said.

Just comes down to the professionalism/ manners of the HT.
    Good luck on new job.

14. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Really? Are you very young (or newish to teaching)? It used to be the norm for heads to talk to you-and you'd always talk to them if you were even considering leaving. Seems strange and sad that some of you accept this as normal.

15. nernstlaw

nernstlaw New commenter

I thought it was common courtesy (and sometimes procedure) to inform your HT that you have applied for a job, then request time off for interview. if you are offered the job, write a formal letter of resignation, book an appointment with HT, give them the letter and and verbally inform them that you're resigning....
    but i could have been misinformed o_O

grumpydogwoman and ViolaClef like this.
  16. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

On the two occasions I've given notice I did exactly that nernstlaw, spoke to my present head and followed up with a formal letter to the head and the chair of governors.

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Goodness no.
    I'm just finishing my 21st year of teaching.
    These leaving dates would have been in (more or less) 1997, 1999, 2005.

18. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I have always made an appointment to see the Head and taken my formal letter of resignation with me to hand to them. I think this is a courtesy and a way of being sure the letter has reached the Head.
    Email is not the right medium for tending your resignation.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know I always wrote a letter. It was never longer than this:

Please accept this letter as my resignation w.e.f. whatever date. It is my understanding that my salary will be paid until whatever date.

Thank you for your support.

That's it. I never taught in a big school though so the HT always spoke to me in passing and made mention of my leaving. If I taught in a large school then I'd be sure to get some kind of acknowledgement.

If I wanted to be effusive I'd tell them how much I'd enjoyed my time there face to face. But not in a letter.

But I only ever left because I wanted to! So I could never honestly say how sorrowful I was to be bidding farewell.

20. michael83

michael83 New commenter

Always get acknowledgment of your resignation in writing!