1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help...guided reading ideas please!

Discussion in 'English' started by Leanne2407, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Hi, I have just completed my NQT year and I seemed to struggle with Guided Reading throughout the year. I have tried many different strategies, including reciprocal reading, using AF questions to guide and creating folders of independent GR activities to keep the others 'entertained'. I am not sure any of these ideas really worked very well so I am stuck on what to do this year!

My first topic is Raiders & Invaders (Vikings/Anglo-Saxons), so I have downloaded a number of Saxon newsletters from the Sutton Hoo society - I was hoping to do something with them, but I am not sure what! help please :) x

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

My first question would be what are you trying to achieve. It sounds like you've chosen these newsletters without a clear idea of why. What exactly is your learning outcome for the students? Work backwards from there and you might find the newsletters are not the most appropriate choice of text - or you may find they serve the purpose well. You don't say what year you are teaching or anything about the profile of the students so it's difficult to advise.

Also, what makes you think your previous ideas didn't work so well? The students didn't achieve the outcomes?