1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Graham, i am a student about to graduate!!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by tia_maria101, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi Graham,

I am a university student in a final year, who desperately wants to take teaching as a career. I have applied through generic means such as PGCE and GTP. As you know getting onto these courses is hard to achieve first time round.

I have lots of experience with teaching, but as my degree comes to an end i am wondering is there any way i can be in schools getting experience and getting paid (its hard getting experience and working at the same time)

I don't know what options are out there for me. I am volunteering to alot of schools at the moment (i work at 2). What else can i do to keep my experience going after the degree has finished?

2. Hi Graham,

I am a university student in a final year, who desperately wants to take teaching as a career. I have applied through generic means such as PGCE and GTP. As you know getting onto these courses is hard to achieve first time round.

I have lots of experience with teaching, but as my degree comes to an end i am wondering is there any way i can be in schools getting experience and getting paid (its hard getting experience and working at the same time)

I don't know what options are out there for me. I am volunteering to alot of schools at the moment (i work at 2). What else can i do to keep my experience going after the degree has finished?

3. You might want to look for paid positions in school that will allow you to gain more experience, these are often advertised in local newspapers and Local Authority recruitment websites. There are lots of roles (probably more in secondary than primary) like -
    cover supervisor
    learning support assistant, learning mentor
    technician (art, design technology, PE, outdoor education, science, ICT)
    one-to-one tutor (usually english/maths)
    administrator/secretary
    pastoral support roles eg, work related learning coordinators
    language assistant (large secondary schools)