1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help. Good resource books on up to date teaching in EY

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Boogum, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Boogum

Boogum New commenter

I'm a bit out of touch with current best practice in early years and hope some of you kind and lovely people may be able to help. A friend is currently working overseas and has been asked to support some teachers to develop a more child centered approach in their early years and primary classrooms.
    Currently there is an over reliance on traditional, formal school teaching methods (e.g. sitting and learning to write in workbooks / listening and repeating after the teacher) They want to try more active methods, but they just don't know where to start.
    She's trying to put together some resources to help. What she most needs is some good resource books about nursery teaching methods so she can help with the theory as well as the practical things.
    Can anyone point us in the right direction? names? useful, preferably practical books? Resource ideas? Anything helpful really. I'd be so grateful. (as will the pupils :D)
    BG.

2. sparkyuk1000

sparkyuk1000 New commenter

Hi @Boogum
    There are two people who have really influenced our thinking and provision:
    Anna Ephgrave - and especially her book 'The Reception Year in Action'.
    Alistair Bryce-Clegg - his newest book is 'Best Practice in the Early Years'.
    Alistair runs a great blog over at www.abcdoes.com - lots of useful ideas there.
    You're also welcome to check out our website www.aceearlyyears.com - we pop on lots of our ideas, theories, resources etc. - though we don't claim to be experts or anything!
    Mark

missrturner, jomaimai and Kartoshka like this.
  3. Boogum

Boogum New commenter

Many many thanks, that's just the sort of thing we need, the theory that can back up the things a practicing teacher knows will work with her (his) class.
    Your web site is exactly the type of resource that is so useful. Much more valuable as it's done by practitioners actually doing the job!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. sparkyuk1000

sparkyuk1000 New commenter

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would like to echo everything that Mark said, and to add that ACE Early Years also have a Facebook page which makes good reading :)

"The Reception Year In Action" is, in my opinion, a fabulous book that really shows you how a child-centred approach works in practice and how the children develop and progress over the year. The author has recently published "The Nursery Year In Action", which I haven't read yet but have on my Christmas list (even though I'm currently teaching Reception; I just think it will be a very interesting read).

Alistair Bryce-Clegg is a big name in Early Years at the moment. The approach he supports is sort of at the far end of the "child-led learning" scale and may be a bit too radical for your friend to try and implement at her school (which would be at the opposite end of the scale, ie. very little or no child-led learning). For example, Bryce-Clegg promotes very unstructured learning environments, to encourage children to be as imaginative as possible - his role play area would have no theme and would contain some cardboard boxes for children to use as they wish; other props could be brought to the area as children wish.

Your friend might like to watch a video which I think it explains child-led learning very clearly. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it directly here, so go on YouTube and search for "Carterhatch Infant School". It emphasises the fact that teaching doesn't just happen when the children are sitting in front of you on the carpet, and shows you some things in practice. Well worth 12 minutes of your friend's time.

It's also worth having a look at Talk4Writing (http://www.talk4writing.co.uk/about/), developed by a man called Pie Corbett. This is an approach to literacy that is used throughout the primary years (Reception-Year 6) in increasing numbers of primary schools. If you look on YouTube you can find videos of Pie modelling the techniques, which are useful to watch if this is something your friend might want to implement.

jomaimai likes this.
  7. Boogum

Boogum New commenter

Thanks Kartoshka. I think the youtube links will be very useful to my friend when she is working with the teachers she's trying to support. Seeing it happen is so much easier to grasp than just being told! It's also easier for the teaches to ask questions about a stranger in a video. It seems less personal.
    I'm very familiar with Pie Corbett (and Julia Strong), I use talk4writing and have a couple of his books. I'd not thought to check him out on youtube so thanks for that link too.

8. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I have both books and they are a must. I didn't know the aceearlyyears website and it looks very interesting. Thank you soo much sparkyuk!

9. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

jomaimai likes this.
  10. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

11. Boogum

Boogum New commenter

Many thanks Miss Turner