1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help getting through exam

Discussion in 'Personal' started by huevosrancheros, May 18, 2011.

1. I don't understnd this question either. Surely if sight is an issue, he should have a reader and/or a scribe?

2. Yes, I also agree with Eureka, that if I were associated with this challenge I would have told they system to shove it too, as is so purposefully stated, and gone around the mountain another way. A levels are ridiculous really as has been pointed out by others on another thread concerning exams in general.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You are using a non-compliant browser. Either manually force the issue with HTML paragraphs or use a compliant browser. Hardly the fault of TES.

4. Then again a high profile site like TES that won't work properly with Opera, Chrome or Safari needs some serious work doing.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Then again high profile browsers that don't create engines that are compatible with known and widely used standards need some serious work doing. Until they make up a more substantial share of the browser market, they should be the ones aiming for compatibility. Making things cross compliant is no mean feat. Would be easier for the browser engine to adapt than individual sites. TES is hardly using an archaic/peculiar text editing application...

6. I was just going to type that - I know people who have had this for far less serious issues. How ridiculous of whoever is in charge of this at your place not to have sorted this AGES ago!

7. I'm rather confused as I cannot think of an AS subject that has a 3 hour exam, most of the 2 units ASs are only 1.5 or 2 hours. What is the mystery 3 hour subject?
    Either way, the regulations only really cover getting up to 100% extra time, which (however long the exam is) doesn't take the exam over the 6 hour daily limit. While I can see the argument about rest breaks, it does seem a bit hard to justify spreading it over 2 days - we've had several students choose to do 7.5 hours in the day and they coped OK even with 3 or 4 different subjects to cope with (though I accept it was their choice and they were fully sighted). A reader and scribe would seem more appropriate but all this should have been sorted months ago (after all they must have ordered the modified papers in early Feb, why allow it to drag on so long?)
    Child protection issues mean that, unless there are over-riding reasons why you don't trust the parents, overnight supervision is normally done by the candidate's parents these days as long as they are prepared to sign the paperwork so if you do get permission then she ought to be able to stay at home.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

As someone who regularly reads/scribes in formal exams for pupils with visual impairments I'm also puzzled that a reader and scribe hasn't been recommended.
    How has this student gone through other exams up until now?