1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help getting shortlisted.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sforte, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Yoshicake

Yoshicake New commenter

Oh I'm ok on the mortgage and marriage front bob, sorted those out a while back. Not sure if kids are for me yet though.

Tbh I would be ok with going down to m4 for a perm contract but even that's pricey for some schools.

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Well......
    For classroom teacher positions I have hired a 50+ NQT: a HoD wishing to return to teaching without the added responsibilities; someone comfortably 30+ and a career changer; and others.
    NQTs often bring new ideas and energy, but need support and can only be used for a 90% loading so have their additional costs. Experienced staff with a good record are hard to find in many subjects.

TheoGriff likes this.
  4. Miss_missy

Miss_missy New commenter

To OP... I'm in the same position. Today after 60+ failed applications, I give up. I recently decided to contact schools to ask why I wasn't shortlisted. Simple answer... going abroad. However, I am smug in knowing that the people who are hiring will never have my rich life experiences. They won't know the feeling of having to get yourself a new passport because it's full to the brim. Do you really want to work for someone who would disregard your experiences for being abroad? Someone who has never been bold enough to put themselves out there and try something new? Someone who has no understanding of international education, how it works, and how wonderfully diverse it is? The only reason I'm not returning to international education is because I want part-time hours. Just count yourself lucky that you don't have to work in such a culturally repressive job :)

5. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

so you’ve actually been told that they’re not interested because you have worked abroad?! How long were you abroad if you don’t mind me asking?

6. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

I just got shortlisted having come back from abroad. I was only over there three years, but just to say don’t give up hope!

TheoGriff likes this.
  7. Miss_missy

Miss_missy New commenter

I was only abroad for 3 years before unexpectedly returning to the UK. I do get shortlisted but never have success. I cannot use my reference from abroad because the school threatened my safety after I reported my headteacher to the barring and disclosure services because they were using a fake name and bringing their partner (a convicted child sex offender) into school. I actually risked my safety and went into school every day until that teacher left the country because my school were sweeping it under the carpet and they were going to allow the HT to interview for other jobs in the country! Not on my watch. Spent all my money hiring lawyers/home surveillance to protect myself. I now have PTSD and can't get a teaching job, despite literally risking my life for my last job! I cannot explain this to schools, so I have a terrible CV, left a job before finding a new one, and refuse to give a reference. I can however sleep well at night knowing that there's one less sex offender with access to children. Every cloud...