1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help from those on the PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Cat-lady, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Cat-lady

Cat-lady New commenter

Hi there
    I hope its ok to post here.
    I was hoping to gain some advice for those on a secondary PGCE (biology)
    I hope to apply for 2020 and was wondering what i should do in preparation for the interview?
    Subject wise is it best to revise gcse or both gcse and a level?
    Also do i need to do the same for physics and chemistry?
    What is the usual protocol for interviews? What kind of questions do they usually ask?

Any books you could recommend? This is a career change for myself so i'd be starting with nothing.

Sorry for all the questions but any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. observer1

observer1 New commenter

Most questions will likely be about why you want to teach, why the subject you have chosen, why the institution and perhaps other aptitude related questions.

Subject wise, they can ask you Grade 7-9 Science questions at the interview and maybe do a mini-test on this. (They will almost certainly ask you think at an actual Job Interview).

It will be the same process for any other subject - Regardless if its within Science or not.

In some places, they may ask you to give a small presentation to the interview panel or in front of the group you are interviewing with.

As with anything, you'll need to find out on the day.

I hope that helps.

3. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

Think you have a great idea.

Maybe go online and look at past papers to see what topics are covered for KS4?

(I am doing that for Primary - I will revisit YR6 KS2 Sats tests, see what's covered and work backwards to YR3!)

4. SarahStone7303

SarahStone7303 New commenter

I can recommend using the website/app Seneca as it covers all the GCSE content for most of the subjects and three boards I think, so a nice little refresher.