1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help from any wine drinkers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tod sal, Apr 30, 2012.

1. whatever is on offer from £10 to a fiver-

2. Is that for one bottle only? [​IMG]
    You should still be able to find something from New Zealand's Marlborough estate for under a tenner - I think.
    It's classy stuff.

3. Jacob's Creek Riesling is pretty decent for £5.99. You should be able to get a decent gewurztraminer for less than £10 too

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I love a nice pinot grigio.

5. Under a tenner? Plenty!
    I thought you said you don't like spending money - most of the wines I buy are under a fiver and still good!
    Aldi do a great white wine - Kooliburra White Wine Chardonnay. Costs about a fiver.
    They also have a good one (Freemans Bay, I think), which is affordable (a sauvignon blanc).

6. I highly recommend wine from the Co-op (yes, really). You can easily get a decent white for £6 or less. If you're willing to push the boat out and blooter a tenner, then go for Sancerre. It's very, very nice.

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

Aldi have a new wine: Pinot Giorgio!
    They also have a relatively decent weekday Italian White Merlot at £2.99.
    ...but if you can stretch to £10 a bottle I'd go for a Petit Chablis or a good Muscadet sur lie or a Pinot Grigio or an Orvieto or a Verdicchio or... or... (I can only dream of having this budget [​IMG])

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

neither of them is dry though

9. Oyster Bay sauvignon blanc. Yum

10. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

What a disappointing thread. I thought you were looking for volunteers to drink the wine![​IMG]

11. If you like a bit of fizz, Co-op Prosecco is on offer at £5.99 (down from £8.99) until 08 May.
    It's gorgeous!
    p.s. their Cava is pretty good too - regularly wins awards.

12. I bought that on your recommendation to celebrate E.'s birth day and you are right - it is very good.

13. I reckon the least she could do is organise a TES wine tester meet ;o)

14. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I rarely buy wine unless its on offer from either Tesco,Morrisons or Asda. Asda also do a good variety of box wines for a tenner (not as big as the usual boxes).

15. The 2011 Jacob's Creek Riesling is dry(and cheap), the Turckheim Gewürztraminer from Waitrose is medium dry, so maybe not what the OP is after. I am no expert though, I am sure you know more about it than me! Cheap and cheerful, but not too sweet is my motto, not very cultured I know.

16. Ooh, yes, let's have a wine club!

Well, usually stuff I get is around the 6 pound mark, but increasingly it tastes rubbish so I thought maybe it was just me being a bit cheap. My dad drinks red and can find great bottles for round that price, but lacks insight into the white unfortunately.

Some good tips, folks, guess I will just have to try them all out!

17. Brown Brothers Dry Muscat is a favourite. It usually sells for around £7.50 but if you're patient, sainsbury does reduce the price every now and then to about £5.

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You cannot go wrong with a NZ Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. IMO much softer than French SB but French SB also very good.
    If going French I'd prefer a chablis or a pouilly fume. You may get a decent one of these for under a tenner.