1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help for science teacher doing maths - gcse edexcel

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by nearlyfriday, Jan 26, 2011.

1. hi guys,
    context -i have have recently moved from mainstream to sebd - they have now asked me to pick up the maths ks3 /4 (only 40 pupils in school)

i have a query (actually multiple)
    1. when reading the scheme of work for maths A linear, each module on the objective has a number in bracket next to it e.g module 21 Foundation- perimeter and area - measure shape and find perimeter (14.1, 14.3). What do these refer to.

i'm having a night mare here- seem to be spending a lot of time running in circles - there is so much on the web -
    I know it's cheeky but do any of you have any SoWs i could nab - future proof that is.

2. what do you think to the pearson GCSE edexcel text (new) £20 a pop is dear but i only need 6/7 - a good buy or not?

3. for ks3 - how do you rate the 'new maths frame working ' texts by collins

any help would be appreciated - also if you have any suggestions as to what i would do well focusing on please email rajgold@aol.com

thank you RG

2. hi guys,
    context -i have have recently moved from mainstream to sebd - they have now asked me to pick up the maths ks3 /4 (only 40 pupils in school)

i have a query (actually multiple)
    1. when reading the scheme of work for maths A linear, each module on the objective has a number in bracket next to it e.g module 21 Foundation- perimeter and area - measure shape and find perimeter (14.1, 14.3). What do these refer to.

i'm having a night mare here- seem to be spending a lot of time running in circles - there is so much on the web -
    I know it's cheeky but do any of you have any SoWs i could nab - future proof that is.

2. what do you think to the pearson GCSE edexcel text (new) £20 a pop is dear but i only need 6/7 - a good buy or not?

3. for ks3 - how do you rate the 'new maths frame working ' texts by collins

any help would be appreciated - also if you have any suggestions as to what i would do well focusing on please email rajgold@aol.com

thank you RG

3. Ok
    Don't worry about the codes, simply decide where your learners are, where they need to be and how long you have to do it
    www.edexcelmaths.co.uk has SOW's for 1 and 2 year courses. You will need to get a log in but its worth the hassle
    Text books? Dont know the pearson although the Oxford one is ok from experience but there are some nice free resources you can use for teaching. CIMT (plymouth MEP is one)
    The collins books are ok and can be purchased very cheaply secondhand if you are unsure. The levels are a bit off though now rom experience
    There is info on the CURRENT (soon to be dead) linear course here
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse-leg/maths/1380/Pages/default.aspx
    Your request for a future proof SOW? Not a chance in terms of being exact as the powers that be change their minds on a weekly basis it seems.
    When you develop as a maths teacher you will realise the SOW itself can be tweakd and personalised to be quite dynamic and subtle changes will be made