1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help for first week back in new class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vanessa32, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a NQT and will have my own classroom for the first time, Year 4. These children are not already a class as they are coming together from two different classes. I have never taught straight from Septermber and am worried about the first week back. I would much appreciate any advice and tips and suggested activities so I can get organised through the summer. Thanks

2. Start as you mean to go on and teach them.

3. The first day back the kids are usually excited to be back but also could be a little subdued and weary of you. You may want to spend the first couple of days doing things like:
    Class rules & expectations
    Personal target setting
    extended writing - something THEY want to write about so you can see what their work is like
    simple maths - again, so you can see what they can/not do
    self portraits to keep and give back at the end of the year
    BUT try to get "on curriculum" as soon as possible. They will need routine and structure for a positive start.
    Remember, how you are in teh first couple of weeks will make or break your year. be firm, be fair. DON'T be their friend. And smile!! you will be fine!!

4. Oh, and ask theoter teachers what they are doing so you are doing similar things.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advice from both pinkflipflop and genic there.
    It's really good to start in Sept as it establishes you as a member of staff right from the off.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Find out what your first literacy and maths topics are and have fantastic exciting and enticing wall displays up and ready.

Have another with science and history/geography whatever you are doing.

Are you going in this term to meet them as the new class? If so you could do something then to continue on the first day back.

If not then spend a couple of hours getting to know them, forming a 'what behaviour helps us learn' type poster, getting them to write their names on their books and showing them how you want things put away. Introduce your rewards system to them and use it liberally.

Oh and act confident, even if you feel like you are clueless. Fake it til you make it.

7. Indeed!! LOL!!