1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help for child with torretts syndrome

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by purplemippi, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have an infant child starting in my class in September who has torretts syndrome and Im wanting to research this condition over the holidays. Can anyone recommend any good books to read or websites where I could pick up some ideas and tips which would help my pupil.
    Many Thanks :)

2. I have taught children with this condition. The basic appraoch that worked for me was to be clear about what level of noise / interuption was acceptable inside the classroom, and make sure the child could safely leave the class room if she felt the need to make more noise than this, then come back in when she had finished. Do not allow apologising to become another form of repetative behaviour, make it clear that no apology is wanted or needed for behaviour outside the child's control. Self esteem is obviously likely to become a problem, so extra friendly encouragement also required.
    This is actually very young, I've not come across this condition ( which I'm calling "this condition" because I can't spell it!) develop at this age before. May not be a "typical" case
    This can be terribly distressing for the child, any thing to make life more fun can only be good. Other children need to know that nothing but complete tolerance and acceptance is acceptable.