1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help for an Observation

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by NooNoob, Jan 24, 2012.

1. NooNoob

NooNoob New commenter

Being observed under new Ofsted Criteria on Thursday for WJEC A2 topic 'Risk analysis'. Have furnished myself withmodern lesson type props such as lollipop sticks and colour indicators to show understanding and have taught kids to work in groups, peer-assess and feed back and all that kind of thing.
    Only prob now is i find it an incredibly boring topic and would appreciate any ideas you might have as to how to make it interesting.
    Please.........

2. NooNoob

NooNoob New commenter

Being observed under new Ofsted Criteria on Thursday for WJEC A2 topic 'Risk analysis'. Have furnished myself withmodern lesson type props such as lollipop sticks and colour indicators to show understanding and have taught kids to work in groups, peer-assess and feed back and all that kind of thing.
    Only prob now is i find it an incredibly boring topic and would appreciate any ideas you might have as to how to make it interesting.
    Please.........

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

How long is lesson? What text book are you using? Do you have all the past papers and Mark schemes?

4. NooNoob

NooNoob New commenter

50 minutes. Dont use a textbook - I have my own notes that I have scrabbled together - is this a mistake?
    Have all past papers.

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Yes get them the Doyle book, the mark schemes seem to have an uncanny resemblance at times to the content of this book.

First of all give them a reason to want to learn it, why not do a quick scout round the net for job adverts and salaries for risk analysts in the city, should make a few eyes water.

Put them in small groups get them to come up with a definition of what risk analysis is, put them on the board get them to vote on which one they think is the best then give them the definition from a past paper and see if they made the right choice. Staying in groups simply ask them to write down as many things they think would be covered in a risk analysis, follow up with what are the potential problems of not doing a risk analysis. Go round the groups ask them for their input and as they make pertinent points pop them on the board. Ask them to rank which they think are most likely to appear on the mark scheme. Compare to the mark scheme of Q6 June 2010 and see how they match up (read that one first so you know how to tease out the answers to show them that they know this stuff already)

Open up mark schemes for Q13 June 2011, Q6 June 2010, Q8 Jan 2010 - spot the common themes and get them to highlight those in whatever way you get them to keep notes. Basically you can reduce the whole topic to about 10 words if you work at it......

6. NooNoob

NooNoob New commenter

That's real food for thought.
    Definitely use the RA jobs idea,
    thanks and was going to use definition idea but mine will need to be led
    to it. Thanks for the other ideas. I reckon my students move slower
    than yours so Ill have to be careful.
    Thanks.