1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help for a stressed out Secondary Music NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by s2341, May 5, 2011.

1. I started a job with the promise of support and that although I was the only teacher in the school, I would not be given responsibilities of a head of music.

I started the year in september after a very rocky year last year which left me feeling really low but I was ready to re-join the career.

I was made aware during the interview process that the school has behavioural issues but this stems mainly from AEN requirements and as long as I could fulfil some of those requirements then things won't be an issue.

After I joined I discovered the high turnover of staff within the school but I was very naive and said to myself that it's probably just the last year with the redundancies and other issues facing schools at the moment. After all during the interview I only had 20 students to teach and that went very well. Turns out the typical class size of the behaviourally challenging classes are approximately 30 and are all mixed ability. However I thought I wouldn't let this aspect get me down.

I was told the behavioural policy within the school and that if I need help to ring to reception. I have done that and nobody turns up on some occassions. Including when I have had a student pick up a plug and throw it at someones face. I have nowhere to take them as music is an isolated area of the school and I'm not allowed to have them outside the classroom as the staffroom is just nearby. I have tried emailing my mentor asking for a timetable so that I could send some students if I needed to but this fell on deaf ears.

I have been given responsibility for peripatetic teachers as well as extra-curricular, concerts. I have also been given responsibility for a GCSE music group who have been so far behind that I have only had time to complete coursework with them and not much of the AOS knowledge. I have also been made aware that I will not be given a moderator to check my marks even though I have stated how important this is as I am only 50/50 fully sure. I have never led a music department or even led a GCSE group before.

I am being expected to teach drama on a fortnightly basis with a shared class with someone else who never tells me where he is in the scheme of work even though I ask and he'll get back to me.

I have also been told to write a scheme of work for the A level performing arts even though at the beginning of the year I was told they would be wrote for me as I had to write KS3 and KS4 schemes of work for music.

I am classed as an 'at risk' NQT. I have tried contacted my union on several occasions to receive no response or very limited response. I've tried ringing the teacher support line with the advice been very sparing and of no use at all.

I have made the decision that I am going to quit at the end of this NQT year regardless of pass or fail with a hope of withdrawal if they do decide that they want to fail me as to be honest I really have had enough of no support, being blamed for just about everything, treated like a head of department even though I have hhad others in to give support.

And even yesterday I overheard that someone said one of my observations which achieved a 'good' could not be used as it isn't consistant with the satisfactories that I've had previously. I have been made aware that there are many teachers in the school that want me to fail and would be happy if I did and there is another round of redundancies happening in the school and they were told through inappropriate measures.

I'm about 1 incident away from going to head and just walking out the front door. I know it would mean no more job opportunities and that it would not look good on a cv and as some people say 'stick it out' and that the holidays make it worth while. I can't do it. I really can't.

Any advice would be greatly received. Please someone help. Please.

2. I started a job with the promise of support and that although I was the only teacher in the school, I would not be given responsibilities of a head of music.

I started the year in september after a very rocky year last year which left me feeling really low but I was ready to re-join the career.

I was made aware during the interview process that the school has behavioural issues but this stems mainly from AEN requirements and as long as I could fulfil some of those requirements then things won't be an issue.

After I joined I discovered the high turnover of staff within the school but I was very naive and said to myself that it's probably just the last year with the redundancies and other issues facing schools at the moment. After all during the interview I only had 20 students to teach and that went very well. Turns out the typical class size of the behaviourally challenging classes are approximately 30 and are all mixed ability. However I thought I wouldn't let this aspect get me down.

I was told the behavioural policy within the school and that if I need help to ring to reception. I have done that and nobody turns up on some occassions. Including when I have had a student pick up a plug and throw it at someones face. I have nowhere to take them as music is an isolated area of the school and I'm not allowed to have them outside the classroom as the staffroom is just nearby. I have tried emailing my mentor asking for a timetable so that I could send some students if I needed to but this fell on deaf ears.

I have been given responsibility for peripatetic teachers as well as extra-curricular, concerts. I have also been given responsibility for a GCSE music group who have been so far behind that I have only had time to complete coursework with them and not much of the AOS knowledge. I have also been made aware that I will not be given a moderator to check my marks even though I have stated how important this is as I am only 50/50 fully sure. I have never led a music department or even led a GCSE group before.

I am being expected to teach drama on a fortnightly basis with a shared class with someone else who never tells me where he is in the scheme of work even though I ask and he'll get back to me.

I have also been told to write a scheme of work for the A level performing arts even though at the beginning of the year I was told they would be wrote for me as I had to write KS3 and KS4 schemes of work for music.

I am classed as an 'at risk' NQT. I have tried contacted my union on several occasions to receive no response or very limited response. I've tried ringing the teacher support line with the advice been very sparing and of no use at all.

I have made the decision that I am going to quit at the end of this NQT year regardless of pass or fail with a hope of withdrawal if they do decide that they want to fail me as to be honest I really have had enough of no support, being blamed for just about everything, treated like a head of department even though I have hhad others in to give support.

And even yesterday I overheard that someone said one of my observations which achieved a 'good' could not be used as it isn't consistant with the satisfactories that I've had previously. I have been made aware that there are many teachers in the school that want me to fail and would be happy if I did and there is another round of redundancies happening in the school and they were told through inappropriate measures.

I'm about 1 incident away from going to head and just walking out the front door. I know it would mean no more job opportunities and that it would not look good on a cv and as some people say 'stick it out' and that the holidays make it worth while. I can't do it. I really can't.

Any advice would be greatly received. Please someone help. Please.

3. It sounds like you've had a really rough, no two really rough times, which is so similar to my own experience. I was a music NQT who tried and failed twice to get through the induction year.

I think you should visit your GP if you haven't yet, it sounds like you may have some symptoms of depression. With myself, I didn't really realise how mentally ill I was until I was fully better, i.e. now, so your GP might have something to say on the matter.

If you haven't already, contact your union, and contact head office rather than the representative in school.

I left teaching completely and now do a different job, and I'm happier than ever. It's really not worth it.

Email me if you want to talk, I'll PM you my email address.

The Edudicator

4. Hi

I've had a similar awful experience as a secondary music NQT (with no real mentor/support and a department in complete disarray). I've managed to stick out this year to get through induction (I assume I will pass, but who knows.....I'm not even sure who decides whether I pass). I arrived in September full of energy and hope for a career in teaching, and I'm now going to hand my notice in at half term and hopefully never ever step into a school again. If I have to claim JSA and live off beans, life will be better than the last 12 months.

I'm sure you've done a fine job, being the only music teacher must be tough! I wish you all the best.

P