1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help for a friend of mine

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lucykate, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi this is more of a parent question than a teacher question but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
    A friend on mine has a 6 year old boy who is under observation and is likely to be diagnosed with ADHD and Autism. Obviously he has been having ongoing difficulties at school over a long period of time. There have been some outside agencies involved including the "behaviour and curriculum inclusion team". In short (because it is a very long story!) the mother has been excluded a great deal from the decision making process particularly in relation to the school liasing with this service and there has been a certain amount of miscommunication resulting in recommendations being made to support his behaviour which have already been tried and failed! She has tried approaching the head and the Bacin manager but they have "closed ranks" perhaps because she is overwrought by the whole process, is experiencing a lack of support and as a result has a tendancy to ranting! She feels she is banging her head against a brick wall as the whole process has resulted in no further help or strategies being implemented
    In addition to this her child does not have an IEP inspite of having EBD issues since before he started school!!
    My question is what can she do now? She does not feel the head will listen to her, or the outside agency, who can she approach? In particular about the fact that the school have not yet provided an IEP which i was particularly shocked about!!
    I am no expert in SEN so thought I would ask those that are. Also any suggestions for general classroom management for these kind of issues in this age group much appreicated, I can't offer much help as I work in secondary.
    Ta!

2. Hi this is more of a parent question than a teacher question but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
    A friend on mine has a 6 year old boy who is under observation and is likely to be diagnosed with ADHD and Autism. Obviously he has been having ongoing difficulties at school over a long period of time. There have been some outside agencies involved including the "behaviour and curriculum inclusion team". In short (because it is a very long story!) the mother has been excluded a great deal from the decision making process particularly in relation to the school liasing with this service and there has been a certain amount of miscommunication resulting in recommendations being made to support his behaviour which have already been tried and failed! She has tried approaching the head and the Bacin manager but they have "closed ranks" perhaps because she is overwrought by the whole process, is experiencing a lack of support and as a result has a tendancy to ranting! She feels she is banging her head against a brick wall as the whole process has resulted in no further help or strategies being implemented
    In addition to this her child does not have an IEP inspite of having EBD issues since before he started school!!
    My question is what can she do now? She does not feel the head will listen to her, or the outside agency, who can she approach? In particular about the fact that the school have not yet provided an IEP which i was particularly shocked about!!
    I am no expert in SEN so thought I would ask those that are. Also any suggestions for general classroom management for these kind of issues in this age group much appreicated, I can't offer much help as I work in secondary.
    Ta!

3. We had a similar issue with our son (same diagnosis :) he is now 11)
    We had support from a learning disabilities nurse who we had access to via the paediatrician. He was able to go into the school and offer support and advice and was seen as a professional person so was accepted! He worked closely with me and was really supportive.
    If your friend doesn't have a paediatrician, then get her to contact her GP. In some areas there are also school liaison officers who work with a few schools and you can be referred to them. They act as advocates for you.
    Finally is there a children's services place near her - they can offer advice and support and point her in the right direction.
    Hope she gets sorted - know how awful this all is!

4. Thank you so much for your reply, i will pass it on!! I also managed to find out last night through a bit of internet digging that the bacin service have family support workers which she knew nothing about so hopefully she will be able to make use of that!!

5. Does your area have Parent Partenership? Pretty sure they might be able to help.

6. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter