1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help for a fellow teacher

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NikkiBrownDT08, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hello lovely, hard working fellow teachers.
    I'm here for a favour please? In addition to teaching Design and Technology. I'm also in the process of trying to get a small jewellery making buisness off the ground. I have applied for a grant to improve the website by adding an e-commerce platform. The grant has been accepted but I now need 350 people to spare two minutes to vote for me.
    I would hugely appreciate it if could please spend 2 minutes to follow this link and vote for me
    http://www.enterprisenation.com/funding-applications/silver-memories/
    Thank you so much in advance. x

2. Hello lovely, hard working fellow teachers.
    I'm here for a favour please? In addition to teaching Design and Technology. I'm also in the process of trying to get a small jewellery making buisness off the ground. I have applied for a grant to improve the website by adding an e-commerce platform. The grant has been accepted but I now need 350 people to spare two minutes to vote for me.
    I would hugely appreciate it if could please spend 2 minutes to follow this link and vote for me
    http://www.enterprisenation.com/funding-applications/silver-memories/
    Thank you so much in advance. x

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You have a teachers wage but don't have £350 of your own money to invest in yourself?

4. done, good luck!

5. Unless I am missing something the Op needs 350 signatures not £350.

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Who are we to question someone's financial situation? £350 is a lot of money to a lot of people.

OP, I tried to help but I can't see where I click to vote? xx

7. Mangleworzle

I started a website about 12 years ago when we were desperate for money, if you can't manage £350 (it is £350, not 350 signatures) on yourself, then you really aren't commited enough. I needed software, hardware, hosting etc. As I had paid it from the meagre amount of money I had, I had to make it work.
    Would I invest this money in someone on a teachers wage? No way.
    Bt then I seem in the minority and it's not costing anybody anything.

8. fantastischfish

You don't know what the OP's partner does, or their family situation, or their financial background. You don't know how long the OP has been teaching for or whether her income is the only one in the household (a teacher on M3 supporting a family might need a bit of help to find £350)
    Since no-one is asking you personally to fork out £350, I really don't know why you are complaining. If you don't wish to help, don't, that's up to you. But was it really worth the effort of posting - twice - to say so?

9. Mangleworzle

I'm not complaining, I'm saying that they don't seem to have what it takes to run their own business. When I was in that position I had 2 dependent children and a wife who looked after the children - and no job.
    Asking for £350 is what people in the developing countries do, and quite rightly too, but a teacher in the UK? whatever the circumstances.
    That's 3 times now, yes it is worth making the effort, to make it in self employment you need to believe in yourself before you expect others to.

10. fantastischfish

Seems to me like you're just being negative for the sake of it. What has it to do with you if the OP's business doesn't make it? It won't hurt you personally, so what's the point of being negative? Can't you just wish her well? I don't see why why you felt the need to post, to be honest, it's up to her if she wants to go for it. Personally, I think that anyone with enough get-up-and-go to take the risk of developing their own business deserves all the cheering on they can get.
    Nay-sayers on anonymous internet forums should just keep their negative thoughts to themselves.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Ohh yes let's have a happy clappy internet!
    Between us we can turn it round.
    [​IMG]

I am not sure why you are bothered Eva, as mangle is normally a cheery bloke perhaps he is right to suspect the money raised is about to be wasted?