1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP FIRST TEACHING INTERVIEW LESSON!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sarahlou182, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hello

I have to teach a 50 minute session on place value to a group of year 4/5's. has anyone taught this before or got any ideas that might help me?
    I'm rather scared, especially the interview beforehand!

Please help!

Many thanks
    Sarah

2. Hello

I have to teach a 50 minute session on place value to a group of year 4/5's. has anyone taught this before or got any ideas that might help me?
    I'm rather scared, especially the interview beforehand!

Please help!

Many thanks
    Sarah

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

Hi - have you posted on primary as well? more of us on here are secondary than primary.
    What ideas have you had so far? Have you met this topic in your training/on one of your placements?

4. Post your ideas on this thread and we'll help you to tweak them. Expecting US to produce a lesson for YOU is not on. Do you want one of us to answer the interview questions as well? If so, expect us to get the job.
    It's YOUR interview, it should be YOUR lesson that they look at.
    cyolba, realising it's that time of year again :)

5. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

A couple of thoughts:

1] It's odd to be interviewed before teaching. I always want to ask interview candidates to talk about their lesson, what went well, what they would do differently next time, etc. This way I can see whether they are reflective, and can also have a bit of an idea whether _they_ planned the lesson or whether other people did it for them ...

2] I assume you are currently on a training course placement. If you are scared about the interview, why not ask the deputy head if they will give you a mock interview. It would be good practice for them and for you!

3] If you are currently on a placement, you could talk to the Y4/5 teacher about their way of teaching this. Or, better, could plan a lesson and take it to them for their comments. Even better than that would be to ask if you could practise by teaching it to the Y4/5 class at your current school.

[None of this works if your interview is at your placement school, of course!]

Good luck - let us know how you get on.