1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! First post - Confused with my qualification path

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Tanyasimone, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Tanyasimone

Tanyasimone New commenter

Hello all, I’m confused and just after a little advice.

I’m currently a TA within primary school & I’m almost finished on my foundation degree in ‘learning support’ (so I’ll soon be level 5 qualified)
    The original idea was to do my top up (ba hons in Education) then qts and teach in primary, but I fear I’ve had a change of heart.

What I’d really love to do is teach in college (ideally teaching the STLS cache course that I took a few years ago that trains TA’s up)
    I’m reading all kinds of differing info on what quals I need to do this.
    I just wanted a few things clearing up to make sure I’m on the right path -

In September (when I’m officially level 5 with my FD) can I then apply for a level 6 ProfGCE and then be qualified to teach in a college upon completion?

Also my other query is - if I ever decided that I did want to teach primary some years down the line, would I then be able to do QTS straight from the level 6 ProfGCE qual?

Many thanks to anybody who answers :)

2. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Quote: What I’d really love to do is teach in college (ideally teaching the STLS cache course that I took a few years ago that trains TA’s up)

Why not contact the/a college direct and ask them what qualifications you'll need to be accepted and qualify for what you want to do.....

monicabilongame and agathamorse like this.
  3. Tanyasimone

Tanyasimone New commenter

Quote: Why not contact the/a college direct and ask them what qualifications you'll need to be accepted and qualify for what you want to do....
    Thank you for your reply!

I have spoken to the college where I’d like to work / train, they all did ‘Cert Ed’ courses etc and were speaking to me about that route. Which is yet another path to look into. Speaking to my current university creates more problems & confusion than before unfortunately (got told false info also when I first started my course so I’m dubious)
    There are too many options & varying opinions as I’m googling, I think I’m just overwhelmed by it all.
    I just want the knowledge from somebody who’d been in a similar situation I guess, so I know it’s doable