1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! First Ofsted!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlelebowski, May 5, 2012.

1. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

I'm an NQT with a Year 1/2 class and we have a two day inspection next week. We have been told to expect the inspector to stay for one full lesson but it could be any lesson. If anyone could comment on my first ideas, I'd be very grateful.

Literacy: The Hunter by Paul Geraghty. To use sound to create a setting.
    Play rhythm on African drum – children copy the rhythm by clapping. Explain that the drum rhythm is from Kenya in Africa and our story for today is set in Kenya.
    Show the big book cover. Ask open questions – What might happen? Tell me about the characters.
    Read page 1. What do we now know about Jamina and her grandfather? Read the conversation on page 2. Discuss what hunters are. How do the children feel about this?
    Read on to page 7. Talk about the ellipsis Why does she hold her breath? Talking partners – what does she hear, touch, feel and see? (Have a visual reminder of these on the board) Chn could complete post it notes and stick these in the relevant area (e.g under a pic of an eye). What does she hear? What would be there in the jungle? Play jungle sounds on IWB. Working together with the chn, decide on 3 key sounds such as the long grass waving, antelopes running, lions roaring. Get the chn into 3 (pre-arranged) groups of 8. Each group to have one of the suggested sounds. The chn experiment with the best way to produce the sound using their bodies – tapping feet, clapping hands, using mouth movements. Gps to stop and listen to me. Demonstrate ‘conducting’ and get the chn to make their group sound quietly and then more loudly on a pre-arranged signal. Ask one child to play Jamina and walk through the bush while the chn make the sounds. I ‘conduct.’ TA record this using the flipcamera for using later. How did the child feel? Write feelings on the board. Plenary: Read on to find out what happens next (a baby elephant has been orphaned and is making a loud noise). Look at learning objective - was it achieved?

Literacy 2: The Hunter. Not sure what to do! We have not covered verbs in great depth so this could be an interactive session which also involved writing.

RE: (Based on a Teacher's TV idea). LO: To decide which gifts are precious. Show a wrapped gift. What could be inside? What would you like to see inside? Talking partners - what does pecious mean. Tell the story of King Midas. Why did King Midas want to return his gift? What was precious to him? (His daughter). Explain that we are going to look at cards with presents on and sort them into 'precious' and not 'precious.' E.g. a game with my friends/ a DS form someone I don't know very well. We are going to stick them onto a picture of a beanstalk (link with our growing project) with the most precious at the top. Model this on the board. Children to work in small groups. Reconvene and share ideas. Look again at the learning objective.

History: To investigate objects from the past.
    Resources: A3 paper, pencils, objects from the museum and trunk, rubbers, camera,
    A3 paper on each table.
    Introduce the fact that a trunk of ‘mystery objects’ has been found on a local farm during the floods. The water seeped deep underground and brought up the trunk. Questioning before the trunk is opened (talk partners). What would be inside? What will it be like inside the trunk? Who owned it?
    Open the trunk and take out one of the items (e.g. old fashioned bull nose ring!) Ask for ideas. Model investigating it to try to work out what it was used for. If necessary, bring out the idea that they are from a long time ago and that they are from a farm.
    Explain that we are going to look carefully at the objects and think about how they were used in the past. They can choose how to record their ideas and then we will share the ideas. Perhaps model a way of recording. Stress that everyone must listen to ideas from the group and value them. Possibly ask for ideas on team work – what is good team work? Ensure that chn are aware of a time limit.
    Chn to work in small groups, handling the object carefully, using touch, sight, smell(!), hearing (do they make any noises?) Consider ways that they might have been used on an old farm.
    Mini plenary to check how team work is going.
    Reconvene and share ideas. (Need way to do this without it becoming dull and losing their interest). ‘Find’ a letter explaining what they are used for. E.g. there is a 'bee puffer' and a ceramic egg to encourage eggs to lay. Ensure that there is some context given - these were used when my mum was young and some of these are still used today.

Maths: we have to been told to plan a dialogic talk maths session and to avoid shape and measure. HELP! I'd like to give them a real life problem, but cannot think straight! My levels range from P scales to level 3.

Any comments are very much appreciated. : ) Panicking a bit!

2. littlelebowski

I'm an NQT with a Year 1/2 class and we have a two day inspection next week. We have been told to expect the inspector to stay for one full lesson but it could be any lesson. If anyone could comment on my first ideas, I'd be very grateful.

Literacy: The Hunter by Paul Geraghty. To use sound to create a setting.
    Play rhythm on African drum – children copy the rhythm by clapping. Explain that the drum rhythm is from Kenya in Africa and our story for today is set in Kenya.
    Show the big book cover. Ask open questions – What might happen? Tell me about the characters.
    Read page 1. What do we now know about Jamina and her grandfather? Read the conversation on page 2. Discuss what hunters are. How do the children feel about this?
    Read on to page 7. Talk about the ellipsis Why does she hold her breath? Talking partners – what does she hear, touch, feel and see? (Have a visual reminder of these on the board) Chn could complete post it notes and stick these in the relevant area (e.g under a pic of an eye). What does she hear? What would be there in the jungle? Play jungle sounds on IWB. Working together with the chn, decide on 3 key sounds such as the long grass waving, antelopes running, lions roaring. Get the chn into 3 (pre-arranged) groups of 8. Each group to have one of the suggested sounds. The chn experiment with the best way to produce the sound using their bodies – tapping feet, clapping hands, using mouth movements. Gps to stop and listen to me. Demonstrate ‘conducting’ and get the chn to make their group sound quietly and then more loudly on a pre-arranged signal. Ask one child to play Jamina and walk through the bush while the chn make the sounds. I ‘conduct.’ TA record this using the flipcamera for using later. How did the child feel? Write feelings on the board. Plenary: Read on to find out what happens next (a baby elephant has been orphaned and is making a loud noise). Look at learning objective - was it achieved?

Literacy 2: The Hunter. Not sure what to do! We have not covered verbs in great depth so this could be an interactive session which also involved writing.

RE: (Based on a Teacher's TV idea). LO: To decide which gifts are precious. Show a wrapped gift. What could be inside? What would you like to see inside? Talking partners - what does pecious mean. Tell the story of King Midas. Why did King Midas want to return his gift? What was precious to him? (His daughter). Explain that we are going to look at cards with presents on and sort them into 'precious' and not 'precious.' E.g. a game with my friends/ a DS form someone I don't know very well. We are going to stick them onto a picture of a beanstalk (link with our growing project) with the most precious at the top. Model this on the board. Children to work in small groups. Reconvene and share ideas. Look again at the learning objective.

History: To investigate objects from the past.
    Resources: A3 paper, pencils, objects from the museum and trunk, rubbers, camera,
    A3 paper on each table.
    Introduce the fact that a trunk of ‘mystery objects’ has been found on a local farm during the floods. The water seeped deep underground and brought up the trunk. Questioning before the trunk is opened (talk partners). What would be inside? What will it be like inside the trunk? Who owned it?
    Open the trunk and take out one of the items (e.g. old fashioned bull nose ring!) Ask for ideas. Model investigating it to try to work out what it was used for. If necessary, bring out the idea that they are from a long time ago and that they are from a farm.
    Explain that we are going to look carefully at the objects and think about how they were used in the past. They can choose how to record their ideas and then we will share the ideas. Perhaps model a way of recording. Stress that everyone must listen to ideas from the group and value them. Possibly ask for ideas on team work – what is good team work? Ensure that chn are aware of a time limit.
    Chn to work in small groups, handling the object carefully, using touch, sight, smell(!), hearing (do they make any noises?) Consider ways that they might have been used on an old farm.
    Mini plenary to check how team work is going.
    Reconvene and share ideas. (Need way to do this without it becoming dull and losing their interest). ‘Find’ a letter explaining what they are used for. E.g. there is a 'bee puffer' and a ceramic egg to encourage eggs to lay. Ensure that there is some context given - these were used when my mum was young and some of these are still used today.

Maths: we have to been told to plan a dialogic talk maths session and to avoid shape and measure. HELP! I'd like to give them a real life problem, but cannot think straight! My levels range from P scales to level 3.

Any comments are very much appreciated. : ) Panicking a bit!

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Calm, calm! You have a whole 3 days!! Your lessons look lovely, and I'm sure your maths will be too (not sure what it means, what you have been asked to do!!!???!!!) - you'll. One up with something. Just remember, the main thing they want to see is children learning new things. Deep breaths now.

4. littlelebowski

In...and..out..OK, that DID help! Thanks Clean_air. Appreciate it. : )

5. Had Ofsted in this week, if I can help with our experience feel free to ask. Your lessons look good. We had 2 30minute observations each - Maths and Literacy. Inspector did one by himself and one with head. Good luck!

6. littlelebowski

Thank you! Was there anything that they picked up on that I should be aware of? We have a meeting at school this morning and I need to go through all my books to check marking, check levels, reading books, displays etc and tidy classroom. I think the waiting is the worst thing!

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I know it probably doesnt feel like it but it's a good time to get the call as you have a weekend and the bank holiday! Your lessons sound fine, I don't know why you have been told to avoid shape and measure, maybe because it always gets pulled out for ofsted? You will be fine!

8. littlelebowski

Yes, that was the reason - one inspector apparently said she was sick of seeing shape and measure lessons! It was something I was going to do, as we need to focus on properties of 3D shapes and I think I could show real progression there. Ah well! Thanks for all the encouragement, it really does help. : )

9. I know this doesn't help, but that annoys me! Teachers should be able to carry on with what their class need to learn, not have to avoid topics in this way.
    Anyway, I was observed as an NQT in my second week of teaching, which was far from ideal! I had four lessons observed, one with the head. They wanted to see a clear starter, a short and snappy teaching input, three differentiated activities with a mini plenary halfway through, and then a really meaty whole-class plenary. This isn't necessarily how I teach every lesson, but it's certainly the way I'd go if I knew we were being inspected next week.
    I'd use some formative assessment strategies to show progress across the lesson - maybe post it notes on the board as they leave, or some other demonstrable way of each child showing that they have learned something new as a result of the lesson.

10. Those lessons are great! You've got some really exciting things in there. You might want to look at your learning objectives though, as they are very 'task-based' e.g. what they are doing in the lesson, rather than the transferable skill they are learning.

11. littlelebowski

Wow, Bestitcanbe. you've calmed me down AND inspired me! I'm (sort of) looking forward to it now! Very inspiring words. Enjoy your weekend. x

12. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You'll be fine boogie beebie. Hang on in there.

13. littlelebowski

14. littlelebowski

Phew! It's all over! I got 'a strong good' so really pleased.Am going to sleep for about 11 hours now!!

15. Well done you!!
    Can you offer any advice to those of us awaiting the dreaded O?! What did they say was good about your lessons? Thankyou for any advice you can offer (after your 11 hour nap of course!)

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

What a relief. Well done. So glad it was alright for you[​IMG]

17. littlelebowski

The main thing I hadn't considered was that they rate 'learning' and not 'teaching' which was a bit of a surprise to me (I guess I really am a rookie!). You have to enable them to all learn something at a fairly rapid pace and challenge the top end. Pace and differentiation were mentioned a lot, and they wanted to see all children on-task, engaged and enjoying the task (enjoyment was a big deal). We also had to show SMSC in all lessons (social, cultural, spiritual and cultural values). I was pleased that I had done lots of trips with my class and invited lots of people in to talk, as that went down well. They were not interested in observing topic lessons and only saw maths, literacy, guided reading and phonics. Reading was a massive deal and they wanted to see evidence of reading development across the curriculum. They listened to readers from my class and scrutinised books (looking for AFL and dialogue - not always easy to have dialogue in books when you teach year 1!! 'Did you find this tricky? yes!')
    She liked my differentiated success criteria and tasks and commented on behaviour, engagement, positive relationships and reinforcement. She saw that chn were on-task and that TA's were well deployed. She liked my open-questioning and AFL. She spoke to lots of chn in the class and asked them what their learning objective was. Luckily, one of the kids brandished his laminated target sheet, reeled off the lesson's learning objective and then showed how the two were linked! I could have kissed him! One child was being a bit nosy and annoying while she was at her table and I wasn't sure whether to tell her off or not. I decided to go and intervene and I was praised for that afterwards. In terms of improvement, I was told to follow my instincts - I was worried about finishing early and I also wanted to have a bit of a go at them for fussing on the carpet and she said she could see this and that I should just do what I would normally do. Transitions is a big deal and she followed mine in and out to see how they settled down and how they led out (a time of anxiety for me!!).
    She watched assembly and watched the kids at lunch too.I did find it a hugely stressful couple of days but hopefully that is it for a while!