1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - First Job Application

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lucie19, Jan 17, 2012.

1. lucie19

lucie19 New commenter

Please can someone help!
    I am filling in my first teaching post application form and the form is asking for my full employment history.
    As a mature student I had many non-relevant jobs years before I returned to education many of which are sales assistant at such and such shop between the age of 16-19.
    My question is do I have to list every single job I ever had? I am 34 and didn't do my degree until I was 27. I have had two children and there are gaps in my CV due to this. I want to present myself in the best possible light but am worried the employer will just see a long list of non relevant jobs from 20 years ago and throw my application form in the bin.
    I have listed relevant TA and LSA experience which includes a spell at a PRU.
    Thank you for your help

2. Hi- I'm still a student myself but we recently had a session on job applications from the headteacher of the school my course is based in, and this is what he told us: a full history is required with no gaps- if you leave gaps and are still invited to interview, they will want to know what you were doing and when, which would of course put you under a lot of pressure. So list everything- even if you have to use extra pages.
    (Of course that's just the advice we were given so everyone is free to contradict!)

3. Reicheru

Reicheru New commenter

Put it all down - better safe than sorry I always think. There is usually a section for explaining any gaps in employment so just put down a very brief description of what you were doing in there - they are definitely not going to look at you unfavourably for having children in those gaps so don't worry!
    Good luck with the job hunt!