1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help... EYFS Planning!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss.hendo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Miss.hendo

Miss.hendo New commenter

Hello...

I am an experienced teacher who has previously taught y1 and y2 who is now going to be teaching reception in September (so excited)...

I am attempting to have a go at my few weeks planning but am a little unsure of what i need to be using.

do i use development matters statements or early learning goals or both?? please could someone help? a medium term plan would be good to use as a guide. I really want to get this right as Ofsted will be due in the Autumn / spring term.

Many Thanks in advance x

2. Miss.hendo

Miss.hendo New commenter

Hello...

I am an experienced teacher who has previously taught y1 and y2 who is now going to be teaching reception in September (so excited)...

I am attempting to have a go at my few weeks planning but am a little unsure of what i need to be using.

do i use development matters statements or early learning goals or both?? please could someone help? a medium term plan would be good to use as a guide. I really want to get this right as Ofsted will be due in the Autumn / spring term.

Many Thanks in advance x

3. My best advice would be to not do a few weeks planning. Just a week or two, max. I used the development matters statements from 30-50 months and 40-60 months to plan my intended coverage through focus activities, but also had a list of them which I highlighted them on as they were covered through unplanned learning. You need to know where your children are starting from to be able to get the right stage of statements, but you should spend the first few weeks getting to know them and their abilities/interests. Routines will be the most important thing to set in place from the start - everything from where to put their jumpers if they take them off, to how to line up at the door, when the snack area is open or closed, who is responsible for what at tidy up time...
    I also had a core provision plan, detailing the learning intentions for my areas of provision - these were mostly the development matters statements, or simpler versions. Eg. in the junk modelling area - 'explore available materials to build and construct,' leading on to 'build and construct with a purpose in mind.'
    For PSRN, I used the phases of the Numbers and Patterns document, and CLL initially was basic skills and development matters statements, moving on to using our LEA guided reading and writing W1 objectives. I had a weekly phonics plan for separate phonics sessions, dividing into three groups later in the term.
    It seems a lot to do, but once I got into a routine with my own planning, I got used to it! It was very different from planning Y1 and 2. We had Ofsted this year, and the thing they were looking for was challenge, especially in phonics - getting the children to use their phonics skills in their writing. The planning formats weren't really looked at, but it is best to have them right for yourself so that you know what you are doing!
    I started off doing a whole class topic, initiated by the children's learning in the previous week, but also by seasons and whole school things, eg Christmas. By the end of the year, I had a rough overview topic, eg magnets, and then things changed throughout the week so we went with what the children were doing, and adapted planning as we went along, providing extra resources to extend learning. It's a juggle, but get to know your children and the dev. matters statements, know where they're heading, and you will be fine. Good luck (sorry if this has gone into one long paragraph - I can't get it to leave the spaces!)

4. Miss.hendo

Miss.hendo New commenter

Bumblebee111 thank you for your reply you said ' For PSRN, I used the phases of the Numbers and Patterns document' i have just looked at this as not herd of this before, do u literally just follow the phases in order when planning?

Thank you !

5. Miss.hendo, I do roughly go through the phases in order, but adding shape, space and measures things as needed. Children will naturally be on different phases so I vary my focus activities according to the objectives that they are working on. Hope this helps.

6. Miss.hendo

Miss.hendo New commenter

Thank you, yes this helps alot... Just one more thing. going back to my original question. When planning, do i use development matters statements or early learning goals or both??

7. hurny

hurny New commenter

It depends on the children and where they are in their development. You will probably be using the DMs at first, but there is no reason why you cannot plan an activity with an ELG as a possible outcome.
    In fact one activity can be differentiated to cover a DM statement and an ELG, I often do this.
    I have a 6 sheet document (1 sheet for each area), which I believe I downloaded from the resources. It lists all DMs and ELGs (ELGs are in red) I use it as a quick reference when I am planning.

8. If you post your email I will happily send you some blank plans and a weeks worth of my planning so you can see how it works. I was new to Reception last year so I know how you feel! The planning I am using now, although there is a lot of it works well and I like it. I use develpoment matters (differentiating between 30-50, 40-60 months and the Early Learning Goals).

9. Hi eskimoclo,
    I am new to fs in September, Could I have a copy of the planning too? I have started but not sure whether I am on the right tracks.

Thanks in advance.

Nellie x

beverley_bland@hotmail.co.uk

10. laconn

laconn New commenter

Hi eskimoclo, could I please see a copy of your planning too. I have seen an example of a mtp and weekly and daily planning but they are not from the same unit so have found it hard to see how they have done it! my email address is:

Lynds_says_hi@hotmail.co.uk

cheers!

11. Miss.hendo

Miss.hendo New commenter

eskimoclo... That would be fantasic...

email address is miss.hendo@googlemail.com

would it be possible to look at a long term or mid term too?? no worries if not)

Miss H x

12. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

eskimoclo, could i please see a copy of your plans? Would be very useful to see how somone else plans to cover the requirements.
    Thanks gemmaparker1@hotmail.co.uk

13. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi eskimoclo
    Would you mind e-mailing me a copy of your planning too. I usually have a mixed reception and year one class but this year I am just having reception children so open to ideas to revamp my planning. Thanks.
    suzi@5223.co.uk
    SB

14. jclinch

jclinch New commenter

Please could I have a copy too?
    Many thanks
    joanneclinch@yahoo.com

15. Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but I would appreciate a copy too, if you don't mind. Feel like I'm going round in circles at the moment with my planning! My email is melanieb1983@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

16. hurny

hurny New commenter

I have uploaded my weekly planner to the resources if you want to have look. Just click on my username.
    It has these sections:
    • The 6 areas of learning (to write in the activities you will be doing based on children's day to day interests).
    • Focus Activity overview: Mon- Fri (includes guided reading/writing later on in the year)
    • Whole class session/s overview: Mon-Fri
    • Phonics overview: Mon-Fri
    • Special events
    • The 3 Focus children's activities overview (based on their Individual PLOD).
    I enlarge it to A3 size so it is easier to write on.

17. Thanks Hurny, it's appreciated.

18. I really like your planning sheet, thanks for sharing it, but do you not need to show any links to EYFS development matters or any learning objectives? We do!

19. hurny

hurny New commenter

I put the links to DMs and ELGs in brackets under the daily activities in the 6 areas of learning. I just write the aspect of learning, e.g. 'Calculating', as I will differentiate the LO for different children (some will be working within the DMs other with the ELGs) it would be too much too put each LO I intend for different children under the activity description.
    The children's individual plans (PLODs) also have links to DMs/ELGs.
    The focus activities do have a LO (which I didn't show on the example) but it will be the same as I do under the daily activities (just the aspect of learning), sometimes I create a separate sheet for the focus activity, which explains the activity in more detail. I will put an example on my resources.
    My medium term plan outlines the EYFS DMs and ELGs I need to cover for the term. These are based on the gaps I find when evaluating the observations/assessments of children overall. I use these to inform my short term plans.
    The whole class activities will be based on the DMs/ELGs highlighted in my MTP. I don't write these on the planner. Just the area of learning.
    The main point of the planner is to show an overview of the weeks planning, there are other documents that back the plan up (e.g. the MTP. children's PLODs and focus activity plans.

20. Thank you for explaining. I thought it looked too good to be true to have all the planning in one place! That's what I'm after, but there's so much for one sheet, it would need to be the size of a wall!! Would it be too cheeky to ask you to put an example of your MT plan on the resources page please?
    Thank you for your help.