1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Help! ESL Overseas Teacher here!

Discussion in 'English' started by Anyz, Nov 30, 2011.

  1. Hello everyone!

    I'm from South America and I'm looking for ESL jobs in the UK and I have a few questions - would appreciate it if you could help me! :)

    I'm a qualified teacher - got my teaching degree in Argentina in 2005 and have been working at different schools in my country since 2003. I'm wondering whether I'll have to get equivalent qualifications or not. I'm certain that I'll have to do something of the sort so my degree is valid in the UK. Where could I find that out?

    I've been looking at the GTCE and there's an application for provisional registration for overseas teachers. From what I've read, I have to be a UK resident in order to apply - or am I wrong?

    There are a lot of other questions I'd like to ask, but maybe these two are enough to start off!

    Thanks in advance!
  2. Hi
    I teach ESL but unfortunately not in the UK. However as no one is answering you, this link to the Open University may be of use. http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/education/pgce/index.htm
    They have a PGCE for teaching program which you can study online and includes placement for teaching experience. I believe each case is considered individually for entrance requirements.
    You might then try various FE colleges. My cousin taught EFL at one till recently, but was made redundant because of UK cost cutting in Education! :eek:(

Share This Page