1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help- EG?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Si N. Tiffick, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I was wondering if anyone (thinking Egyptgirl!) could give me an authentic tava recipe? I ma sure my son would love this and would like a tried and tested recipe.
    thanks in advance!
    Si

2. Si N. Tiffick

I was wondering if anyone (thinking Egyptgirl!) could give me an authentic tava recipe? I ma sure my son would love this and would like a tried and tested recipe.
    thanks in advance!
    Si

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

1 kg lean brisket or top rump, cubed ( or lamb)
    500 g onions, sliced finely
    1 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced thickly
    150 ml groundnut oil
    250g tomatoes, chopped or a 250 g can, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    300 ml hot water
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    salt and black pepper
    Oven temperature:
    Gas Mark 6/200nC/400"F

Preheat the oven. Place all the ingredients in a large roasting dish and mix well. Cover with foil and cook for two hours without stirring. Serve with a green salad.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've only ever known tava as a sort of flat frying pan.

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

The tava is the name for the pot you cook it in (like a Greek version of a Tagine!).
    Traditionally, it is made with beef or lamb and this meat needs to have a bit of fat on it for it to work properly. It is best served with flatbreads. My Grandmother's recipe is below but I haven't made it for a while (she normally makes it for me when I go home!).
    Fry off a couple of sliced onions and a couple of chopped garlic cloves until soft and add 1 chopped red pepper then tranfer them to a large casserole dish. Season with S&P then add chopped parsley, chopped oregano (can use dry if you don't have any fresh), ground cinnamon, cubed lamb (shoulder or leg works best here), chopped potatoes, cumin seeds and some good-quality olive oil to this and mix through with your hands to make sure its evenly coated. Cover the top in sliced tomato and season with salt. Dot some butter over the top and pour in some stock. Cover with foil and bake in a low-ish oven for about 3 hours, then remove the foil and increase the heat of the oven slightly and caook on medium for about 45 mins or until the liquid has reduced. Taste it and if it is too rich add a bit of red wine vinegar to cut through the richness.

6. Si N. Tiffick

Thanks H and EG! I knew you'd be able to help! The version at the Greek restaurant I was at on Saturday had a little cream in it and seemed to have a little chilli in it too- that seemed inauthentic to me but I know nothing about Greek food! It was absolutely delicious though!
    I'll be trying your recipes out soon.
    Many thanks x