1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! Drying out a carpet!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 05dan10, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    I have recently had a new carpet fitted upstairs, however due to mistake made by myself it appears to be soaking wet!
    Have any of you got any ideas for how to dry out a wet carpet?
    Thanks in anticipation!

2. Do the dance of joy on towels.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

[​IMG] maybe?
    You might need two rolls [​IMG]

4. Thanks for the comments!
    Who did you know?! I've been dancing on towels and kitchen roll all evening!

5. That was meant to read how

6. In my vast experience of mistakes it will probably be OK. Keep the heating on as well.

7. It is absolutely soaking, it happened last night at about 6pm and it is still soaking now!

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

depending on what you have spilt and how much, roll the carpet back and mop the floor!

9. It's only a small patch (about 1m sq), but absolutely drenched in water.
    How about OH's hair dryer?

10. Do you know anyone with a dehumidifier? Perhaps you could borrow it? Or you can hire them.
    Not sure I'd used a hairdryer on it, tbh, in case it dried too quickly and wrinkled or something.

11. No, unfortunately I don't!
    I have a scratty old fan somewhere in the garage, do you think that would do it any good?

12. I'd be careful if there is a high percentage of wool in the carpe, if you get it too warm, (with a hair dryer, for example, there is a very good chance that it will shrink.

13. It is only a small area; if you have stomped on lots of towels I can't see how it can still be soaking. Have you got rid of the source?

14. The carpet has quite a lot of wool in to be honest.
    I might just carry on with the kitchen roll (except I've ran out, now using A3 and A4 paper) and the towels.
    Thanks for your replies guys!

15. Yes! I was the source! I dare not tell you how I did it! I will sound like such a wally! [​IMG]

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

You do know that we're all dying to know what you did dan?! [​IMG]

17. I hate to think what my OH will say when she returns home!
    She is having a weekend away in Birmingham with her Mum!
    Hopefully, I can get the carpet back to normal by then!

18. Do you guys think it would work if I put some weights (e.g. books) onto the towels instead of me keep walking round in circles?!

19. As it may well smell, shrink and stain I'm afraid its unlikely.

20. Borrow (or rent) a VAX floor shampooer thing and you could just use the 'sucking' function to suck up all the water which will leave it slightly damp. Or go the whole hog and shampoo the carpet and then you can say to your gilrfriend that the new carpet had a strong carpetty smell and you'd read something about toxic chemicals in new carpets etc etc so you decidede to shampoo it. Or come clean and wait for it to dry.