1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - don't know pay scale as only ever been a supply teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Seadream, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I graduated in 1994 and started life as a supply teacher. I then took around 8 years out of teaching and worked in the city. I missed teaching and returned on supply to get more experience but have since just worked on long and short term contracts and have never been employed by a school. I now have a school that a friend works at who have asked me to supply with them through the LEA. They want to know which pay scale I am on and I haven't a clue. Anyone know what I should do and will this be a problem?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, as there are now no official Pay Scales it may be a bit difficult to answer that question. If 'tafkam' is still around, he's probably the best person to answer.
    However if you've never done a complete year on supply, presumably you'd be on the old 'Main Scale 1', which, when there was a National Scale started at £21,804 according to the 2013 doc.

Wotton likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Flagging this for @tafkam if he's still around?

4. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Thanks Lara. I've done a couple of 1 year contracts and loads of long term part-time contracts but all on supply...

5. Lara mfl 05

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

If you work directly for an LEA they usually have a standard daily supply rate for primary and one for secondary. Under the 'old' rules after 26 weeks of supply with an LA you would be entitled to a pay rise in line with permanent teachers. I am not sure whether this has disappeared along with national pay scales.

7. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Years of service as a qualified teacher accumulate. How many years you have worked = a spine point. My years as an agency teacher still count